ESC Replacement Questions/WallofText

Download bootloader first. Then update.

As for

I and others have their dv6 working fine. Mine is still here after 2 years, and my retro is here for 4. I never trust reddit a lot. I trust more with people who are testers and can either confirm or not it’s bad.

If the error still says that, check to see if you press connect on vesc tool application. I find it odd it isn’t working for you. Then again, I hate that update where you have to press connect.

I’d check it myself if I was around.

1 Like

Question @BourgeoisBastard, how are you setting your motors in vesc tool? Medium outrunner? Or something else.

1 Like

Thanks for your reassurances. That makes me more hopeful.

Yeah I have always used medium outrunner (750g).

I’ll look around for the bootloader/firmware and look through some sort of tutorial for updating it and not bricking this thing. Going to be nice later on this week and want to take it for a ride instead of my backup board… hopefully ill have an update in a few hours.

Thanks again man! o7

No problem. Just to help:

Firmware/ bootloader/ click on the vesc 60 (it might say this since mine did). And hit upload or download… I forgot what it says… then hit update. Make sure they’re both over can. If you see no can, do not click that.

Edit: I use the app. It’s easier for me.

1 Like

You mean the Windows app right? That’s what I use. Don’t totally trust Android/iPhone apps for this even though there’s probably no real reason too.

Correct. Window app. I use the android app. I’m not gonna lie to you, it’s very useful when you’re outside and you wanna have stronger brakes. No need to open the board.

Save that one time I accidentally took off uart lol

1 Like

How do you have the USB port exposed to the outside of the board? Problem is on my board I need to remove 12 bolts and flip the enclosure to access the VESC. Will be annoying to make changes in the future so now I’m thinking I will find a lot of use with the apple app. lol Do the android/apple apps connect to the VESC through the remote module via bluetooth?

I’ve seen people use an USB extender for this, but I didn’t do this.

This is what I did. If your remote is a Bluetooth module, you’re able to access the vesc via the app. Just make sure you’re set to ppm and uart on vesc tools. I just used a bluetooth module from flipsky.

1 Like

Alright so I have all the wiring hooked backed up. I uploaded the “generic” bootloader included with vesc_tool. I then uploaded with the firmware from the MakerX site (it looked like the same that was already on the VESC. didn’t verify 100% though). Now when I click “run detection” it either times out and disconnects or I get the exact same motor detection error as before. Sometimes I also get a pop up before it finishes that “I need to have the latest firmware to use this feature” or something like that.

Maybe the OEM onsra motors are unique in some way? What do you think I could try next?

Thanks

I’ve never heard of this before. You normally just go to firmware and you’ll see two tabs above that says firmware/profile/bootloader on top. I’ll have to check it out myself since I haven’t used the pc one in so long. You first get the bootloader. Then go to Firmware and get that. After you reset the esc by powering it again, connect it and see if it’s on the latest firmware with the info below.

It should be 5.2 as you shown before. I don’t know if 5.3 is out. But I’ll see if I update my esc.

All motors are the same to be honest with you and usually the sensors as well. I can hook up a flipsky on a makerx like I can with a hub motors from aeboards. If you have a discord, you can video call me and show me your end and I’ll try to help you out step by step. I have never gotten that and I ran 3 different motor types.

Small note: you can also try to flip the hall sensors around and the motor wires. But, first do the motor wires. Don’t plug in the hall sensors yet. If it works and it says “sensorless” in the success, add the sensors on the next set up.

Another note: why can’t I send vids…

It’s 5.3 right now. I’ll remove the hall sensors again and then move the motor wires (the fat wires w/ bullet connectors I presume). If it still doesn’t work and I can’t post a video I can jump on discord or whatever.

Yeah because you can’t post vids here. And yes, those. But don’t use the sensor until you got this working.

Edit: I feel like it has something to do with those 5.5 bullet connectors. And cool, it’s updated.

1 Like

OK I may have identified the issue. I think the bootloader is corrupted. When I go to apply the latest 5.3 firmware it says it loads fine, but when it reboots and I reconnect it shows the old 5.2 version every time. I’ve tried uploading the “generic” (included w/ vesc tool) bootloader first and then the firmware from makerx. Same thing every time. I’ve read I’ll need to use an ST-Link cable to fix the issue.

https://vesc-project.com/node/189

https://www.vesc-project.com/comment/225#comment-225

Have you ever seen this before and/or are you familar with the ST-Link?

Edit:

I ordered an ST Link v2 from amazon just in case I need it.

Additionally, I figured I’d mention it. There are 2 sets of LEDs on the VESC. Each has a solid blue light and flashing red light. I feel pretty confident about the missing bootloader. No idea why vesctool uploads won’t stick.

Edit: please answer the questions below before reading this. You might had caused an issue if it’s exactly what I’m thinking the red blinking means.

This means that you haven’t fully installed bootloader from the firmware menu. I’ve had this issue on the MakerX retro. It was supposed to be Firmware 5.1 (was on a different version). Everytime I hit firmware, it would say I did it, but when I unplug my battery and replugged, it would revert to older software.

Here is what I did. And note that my firmware was 5.2 as well. So this should help you:

The proof that I am on old firmware.

Went to firmware and went to bootloader first. This is very necessary to remember. If you did not press upload all, your esc WILL reset itself to 5.2 due to one side. If this happens, you have to also update the other side with the USB cable. That’s why there’s two.

Always check to see if there’s another bootloader by clicking on the name seen on screen first before uploading all.

Once done, both sides should be updated with upload all. If you only chose upload, it will only do one side, so you have to unplug the USB and do it to the other side.

Once you do this. You must click upload all and check and make sure your settings are right.

If done properly, the results are this:

When you see this, count to 11 and then unplug your battery. Note: this is the thing you’ve mentioned to me. I never needed to do this tbh. That’s why I have very little knowledge.

This should be the finished results. As you can see, I’m on 5.3 and every time I disconnect the battery, I’m still on it.

My results.

The only time you would need to do what you’ve given is if you had done both sides of the bootloader and it did not update afterwards. I only seen it used for the unity tbh. I never needed it so I have very little knowledge. Sorry mate.

Define this… flashing red. Like red/green? Or red on one side or both? Is it blinking more than 3 times?

Didn’t work, but maybe I’m using the wrong bootloader files. All i have is the generic listed. Is that one good? Also, does it matter which CAN devices I connect to? Should it be “local” or “82” in this instance?

I have some other bootloaders I found. Got them in the same folder as the vesc_tool.exe application file. Should they be in a different folder for them to show up in the “bootloader” tab?

Blue is solid (very bright), green is on too (kind of dim though, hard to tell it’s even on) and red led is continuously blinking.

Okay, so for this, you have to check the faults on the side that blinking red. You can type faults or errors and see it. It’ll tell you what happened.

Looks like it. Because I’m unfamiliar with “generic”. Did you get it from makerx? This is pretty difficult to tell since I’m unfamiliar with what I’m seeing here.

Local means that it’s your connected USB on that side. 82 is your can bus.

Both sides are blinking red.

The “generic” is included/built-in with vesc_tool.