Esk8 life hack of the day

Ok. So I thought I’d dedicate a thread to all those little DIY tips and tricks that we all use when we don’t have, and don’t want to invest lots of money into that special tool…

I hope this isn’t the 10th thread on this specific topic, but I haven’t seen one in a while, so let’s call this 2018 life hacks :wink:

6 Likes

Hmmmm…I drink when Im angry, does that count? Full Disclosure, I drink when I’m happy too :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Esk8 and longboarding hack against speedwobbles: wedge the front and dewedge the rear truck.

More stabile, yet still carvy

5 Likes

First off is this stupid little thing that we have far too many of lying around the apartment. Kids love bubbles. Me not so mucho.

So I use this whenever I clean bearings. Pull out that middle thingie and put the bearings on and push it back onto the lid. Fill it up with isopropyl alcohol and shake. No need to buy "expensive " bearings cleaners! Yaaay.

15 Likes

Not when you’re sad or bored?

yeah, then too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has the retractable remote clipped to your body came up this year? Saves my remote when my body takes a plunge :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Pictures required for all hacks, or they didn’t happen!

1 Like

This thread is a GREAT idea! should be interesting to hear different peoples tricks and tips!

2 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

are there different ticknesses of wedge and one size recommended over the other?

2 Likes

If you’ve got generic 50 degree trucks i’d recommend wedging front by 5 degrees and dewedge back by 5 degrees. Thickness doesnt really matter.

2 Likes

I had to wedge both of mine to make mounts fit but you can still put stiffer bushings in the back if wedging isn’t an option

Clean your board with baby wipes, specially the wheels, they look like new

4 Likes

Hahaha I was literally just thinking. Frustrated with the board? Drink a beer.

4 Likes

“Lemon scent pledge” for cleaning. I picked up this trick from a fellow truck driver. The driver that showed me this trick drove a spotless concrete mixer truck. Pledge keeps grime from sticking . Cyclist in the know have been using pledge for years as well. It’s cheep and works better than anything on the market. I buy the generic stuff from the local Dollar store.

7 Likes

Soldering: More heat, less time, better join

Vesc repair: If you screw a pad, it’s because your approach or mindset is wrong.

Always be prepared to back off and have a think about what you’re doing & how you can do it better

(Says the guy who has ripped drv pads, blown an eBay vesc and cut a perfectly good pivot cup…all this week)

9 Likes

If the balls of the bearing pop out while cleaning, use this video as reference on how to put it all together again.

Props to this little kid for making a pretty decent and easy to follow guide!

6 Likes

Stiffer bushings is an option, but make the board less lively. To still keep that livelyness/carvyness you need to apply wedges. OR trucks of different geometries

1 Like

Dont let your balls hit water. … Sorry wrong forum. If you are riding in the rain make sure you wipe down your board after you get home. And also open your bearings so they wont rust.

5 Likes