Evolve Skateboards - New Board - GT Carbon!

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, DIY is still in my mind, but right now, I’ll need to plan out well to make sure it’s worth it, and only if can get something that in some way does something the gt doesn’t

2 Likes

wrong use of the meme :thumbsdown:

3 Likes

looks like the DIY vs evolve GT discussion is coming up again. I think for like over 90% of people the evolve GT is the ideal board. It has the looks, has ridiculous torque and range, and is so versatile with the AT wheels. The remote is awesome as well. I don’t see DIY boards offering anything more than what the evolve GT offers. If I was going to have one board, it would be the evolve GT no doubt.

You can get more performance out of DIY terms of speed, but how many people actually need more than 26 mph (42 km/h)? That’s very fast on a board under your feet with wheels so small compared to other vehicles that you can fit them in your hand. If you look around some of the DIY AT boards built on this forum they can hit near 40 mph WITH AT wheels which is insane. So unless you have a very specialized need and prioritize that level of performance over anything else, and are willing to put in the time/effort to build one of your own (or pay to have someone build it for you lol)… the evolve GT is overall better.

1 Like

I’m not trying to bring back that discussion. There are plenty of threads to continue that, and I started one haha. Don’t get me wrong, I completely get the DIY thing, and it does still interest me, but the biggest thing was building something to do what I wanted and others potentially couldn’t. Atm the GT is doing that for me. A crazy rad all terrain build would be great, but at what expense, in both time and money? I’m sure I’ll still look at that road every now and then but I’ll admit it’ll feel like a bit of a trade off with a lot of aspects and with potentially little benefit for what I need and want.

Love the comparison mate. Maybe one thing you should do is tell use the weight of the boards also?

I would say the gt weighs a lot more, but the toss up between power range and weight is what we all need to make!

1 Like

Hey Rob.Endless! I see you bought the 97 Flywheels clones to have them in black, which is what a lot of us have been wanting to do until we saw that they didn’t fit the drive gears while it looks like they do on the product picture.

So some of us have been talking about modding them but it seems like you’re the only one who’s actually done it, can you give more info about this?

Why did you mod the drive gears and not the wheel instead, by making the holes bigger? How did you mod the drive gears? Are you happy with the result?

Cheers

Just curious if any other Carbon GT owners notice a louder vibration when the speed is held around 11km hour (83mm 32gear setting on remote). Not a major issue but it is noticeable on my board.

You can find this on the BB website and on the Evolve website :slight_smile:

what is the workaround for the 107mms?

@olivierdud I currently have my GT being sent back for repair/replacement and so I kept all my eboard stuff hidden at my parents garage so that I wont be reminded that I even have an eboard. It really sucks being one of the first non-beta testers to have the GT in the US (I had it at 8am wednesday last week) When I get it back, I can posts more pics of the modification. To answer you questions, I modded the gear drives because I already had an extra set of abec gear drives. It also seemed a lot easier to do and more precisely. It also allows me to buy whatever wheels and have them fit (as i have stock abec drives, modded abec drives, AT drives and kegel drives) . I used a digital caliper to take measurements and a dremel and file to get it done. I am happy with the results as it spins truly with no wobble.

Do I need to tighten trucks or should I just switch to 97mm ABEC’s for speed? (When I say speed, I mean riding the streets lol. I figured AT would ride it fine but maybe it’s too high off from the ground?)

I got my GT with MrMahal today, but anyways. I took it out for a ride 15 minutes ago and went down the street going GT mode (I’m familiar with the speed from BB D+ and I handled the carvability of the board well because I had beaq trucks on my old longboard that would lean down just as far! I was fine going around so I kept GT mode going and downhill I let go of accelleration and it hit 24mph and I was like shit lemme slow down but then I wobbled and fell off. Only a few scrapes and scratches on my gear and I’m perfectly fine. I was full throttle because BB D+ belts would always create enough drag that I barely went over top speed but I wasn’t ready for this. Any advice? :o Anything appreciated.

(I have the GT 2 in 1 with 83mm evolve wheels and Abec 97mm and the AT wheels)

edit: I think it started wobbling when I noticed 24mph and considered braking, but braking currently gives me slight wobbles but not enough that I considered it wobbles…?)

I tightened my trucks when I got them because going 20+mph wobbling all over was pretty scary. If you plan to get 97’s make sure to tighten. Go easy when braking and lean back when you do so. Try not to overcompensate when wobbling.

Also if you want 97’s they have just 1 more set at evolve if you email/call them.

Ok will tighten!

I do have the 97mm’s already from evolve, I paid and they just stuck it in my GT box:3

Yeah I’m getting used to the remote, I was pretty good at any speed until I found 24mph xD… Tbh so far, I think the Boosted Board remote is much more natural and easy to control. So far anyways. Been a total of 12 hours with only 2 of riding xD

Yea the faster you go the harder it is to control, especially with the dual bushings. You may want to consider getting harder bushings as well, though if you practice enough you should be able to control the 97’s.

Yeah If you want to skate at speed (25kmh+) I would highly recommend hard bushings and tightening your trucks.( first thing I do, also upgrade bearings.) If your trucks are too loose you will notice when you get to higher speeds especially when you apply the brakes. Also having your belt tensions even should help keep board balanced while braking.

The trigger on the remote is touchy in GT mode. Something you get used to and I’ve come to like it a lot. It lets you have as much power as it can give.

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t posted anything as today’s events with @HoboFarts were very unexpected to say the least lol One big word of advice for those that are getting the 2 in 1 in a month or so is that if you haven’t ridden on pneumatic big wheels, or double kingpin trucks, switch to street first and get used to the carvyness of the truck. The higher center of gravity is no joke. I never actually got to GT mode because I kept wobbling all over the place. A lot of shit happened in between with me trying to swap in my own bushings (I anticipated there’d be something wrong with evolves because they don’t know my weight) and eventually I bailed hard getting a nice smack on the head and a little road rash. I feel so thankful for @RunPlayBack and his message because that thread made me get extra pads that saved me some skin and extra damage, and reminded me to keep my helmet snug. It happened so quick and I could barely react.

Besides that unfortunate part of the day, I was really impressed with this board in terms of quality. It looks abso-fucking-lutely gorgeous in person and is so balanced in weight not even the AT set up felt all that heavy to me honestly. So far taming the truck on this has been my only gripe. I haven’t tested GT mode so I’m not sure how sensitive the break is in comparison to Fast, but I kinda like it as it is, I can fine tune pretty well even with gloves on.

The footage I got of the unboxing was a bit fucked due to me shooting into the sun (we did this in a parking lot mid day) and my face is a little hard to see, also didn’t mic myself up. Kinda too excited to do anything proper so I’ll be working more on that tomorrow as I heal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So… I tightened the bushings, and then they squeak when the board leans left or right now. Normal I think but doesnt that just mean theyre too tight or something

You need to lube them up probably, try soap shavings, rub the bushings on a bar of soap and stick some shavings in the pivot cup.

1 Like

Shop shavings? Soap shavings you mean?

But lol thats funny but ok I’ll do it