EVOLVED | DIY Clone | 2x 5065 | 2x FOCBOX | 8s 8ah | Original Evolve Parts

Im doing a similar build but I built myself a 10s4p 30Q pack for the batteries, and I use the 140kv motors :slight_smile: wanna see how they perform, hopefully I get done today!

1 Like

Nice! I’m upgrading to the same kind of pack when these batteries doesn’t cut it anymore (and when I get the funds)

Sweet baby Jesus sensored FOC is the FOCin’ sh*t!!

Did a little test cruise and it works amazing! Measured the temperature of the motors as fast as possible after the ride, and they were only 46 degress celsius. Considering that it is 30 degrees celsius, and full scorching sun today, on the black motor cans, I think that’s pretty good.

4 Likes

Nice! Charging mine now and then its just the programming left :heart_eyes: Btw do you run sensored?

Yup! Smooth AF

Oh, can you show me how its gonna be rewired, if it doesnt require you to open your enclosure ofcourse :slight_smile:

What do you mean? :slight_smile:

You had to re-wire the sensor cables to the JST to fit the focbox right? :slight_smile:

Oh, I already did that before I upgraded to FOCBOX’es. It’s the same as on the MayTechs VESC’s. The important part is the 5v and GND, the rest doesn’t matter. (as long as there’s no temp sensor) :slight_smile:

The green wire on the right in the image, goes to the red one on the motor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool appriciate it! thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You along with the weather motivated me to finish mine aswell :wink: Thanks for the help with sensorcables!

First testrun!

2 Likes

F I N A L L Y found a perfect connector for balancing! I’ve been looking everywhere for a 11+ pin connector that was not too big and looked pretty. I found the Hirose HR10A connector in China, and it’s even a push pull connector :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: image It fits nicely in the evolve enclosure :+1:

6 Likes

Awesome looking build!

1 Like

Expect an update Saturday or Sunday :sunglasses:

A little story…

A peaceful day when I was making my new charging connector system, the disastrous thing happened. While building it, I wanted to check if I had soldered all the connections correctly, so I got my multimeter and started measuring. Oh boy was that a mistake. A little PSA is; measure the connections for continuity instead of measuring the voltage on a connector connected to the battery. My hands were shaking just a fraction too much, and I touched two (maybe more) of the pins, shorting the balance connector. Hell broke loose and the connector was suddenly a flame of about 30cm instead.

I was thinking “shitshitshitshit what do I do…” and in the panic I put the flaming board out on my balcony. Problem is that I live on 8th floor so this was extra scary. However the problem was not dealt with yet, as now there was a board on fire on my balcony. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher with powder so I could put out the fire. Damn. Scary stuff.

IMG_2040

The deck itself took some damage, but I was able to repair it by sanding it down, getting a new foam mat from Evolve, and repainting the back side (now in matte black instead of glossy :heart_eyes:) (Sorry, no pic of the fresh deck)

IMG_2099

Alright, so the connector was no more, so I went back to my trusty VGA connector, but I revised the design and made a 2.0 version of both the board side and the cable side. (My other build The Frankenboard got this update as well). Came out great! (and no fires :wink:) Already a little dirty. :hugs:

IMG_0059

While is was at it, I refined the internals completely. I got the custom FOCBOX heatsink from @BoostedBuilder and it is just fantastic. Takes the build to a whole other level. :heart_eyes:

IMG_2115

I also redid all the internal connections for easier disassembly and reassembly. As you probably noticed if you’ve been following the thread, I got some AT wheels as well. So here’s some pictures of the final build. :tada:

IMG_0056 IMG_0057 IMG_0058

As you can see, I 3D printed a riser for the enclosure, and while it not only looks good, it makes everything fit snug and perfect. While I was at it, and since my trucks didn’t come with the “GT” logos inserted, I also 3D printed my own logo for a personal touch. These is spray painted in chrome silver :smiley:

Untitled

Thanks for following :smiley:

12 Likes

Ho boy, that hurts to see such a photo :confused:

1 Like

So, how’s that performance compare to a genuine Evolve? :smirk:

I’ve only tried an Evolve once, and fell off on the non-smooth accelleration, it really jerked away under my feet… so I can’t say. :slight_smile:

Well I was poking fun. The VESC are way better.

1 Like

I thought so :wink: