FatBoy HV ESC - 18S 150A Electric Speed Controller

Why so humble?

I edited my post to be clear I talk about an uncooled aluminium enclosure like mentioned in my first post. So no airflow and sitting in room temperature. I also said that constant current for several minutes isn’t used in our application, but it is a good benchmark because it is easy to reproduce with different hardware at same conditions and it is not dependent from riding speed and mounting for an example. (different airflow) On my ESC I am also using 150A motor current without a problem, but not for several minutes and with good airflow cooling the case. So I never said 100A are not possible. Just not with your FETs, a normal aluminium case without airflow at room temperature and running it continuous for >15 minutes. Good luck with your project and I am out now.

4 Likes

@Kug3lis I am eagerly waiting to buy a dual setup of these for my board… I was gonna buy some of stewii’s controllers in September, now these are what’s going in my monster… we have a race track, drag strip and I have obtained permission to take my board on it… I’m gonna try and top out an 18s and get it clocked lol

2 Likes

i need this for my upcoming setup

Any updates?

Still a shit load of work on firmware so don’t expect without end of year or next year spring :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what you’re saying is, we should start the pre-order Group buy thread. LOL

1 Like

Oh no not yet :slight_smile: I am still working on firmware level stuff, afterwards I will be deciding what hardware to make as logic (mcu and firmware) will be used the same on all hardware configs :wink: I have achieved motor spinning, now I need to implement PPM, configuration, usb, uart, can and other stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I know, was more a joke on people and thier impatience for new products.

Plus we need time to design body armor to Keep Us Alive at 19s

3 Likes

Plus I am evaluating DRV for 100V operation from TI :open_mouth: Maybe it will go into production at the same time I will finish my firmware :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You almost got me there on the pre-order thing lol

1 Like

Would our standard 6374 motors handle your 18s esc (at say 16-18s), or would we need different motors?

Each motor has maximum RPM or Voltage allowed :slight_smile: Its mainly for beefier motors like 80**

2 Likes

@Kug3lis Do you think your ESC will be suitable for more powerfull electric vehicules, like scooter, motorcycles, powerfull ebikes ?

I am looking for other ESC than chinese ones

Well I am making new main brain of esc which I can reuse on mostly any hardware stage. so from mini version for 6s 30a max up to bus motor controller but I doubt I will make something for bigger vehicles as there are better options :slight_smile:

Bike has already nice controller :slight_smile:

http://adaptto.com/Products/Controllers/

P.S. this design in topic is dead so no more like this as I am using different mcu and etc things :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of the adaptto but 470 dollars for a 4 kw controller seems like a lot ! Sabvoton are bigger but half the price for similar function

Well those 4kW are real constant 4kW not vesc 1min max :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I bet they are, well I have never tried those so when I have spare money i’ll try these controller.

according to you even adding thermal mass for dissipation would not help ?

I have been spoiled with open source software i think :stuck_out_tongue:I’d love to have some VESC like ESC for bigger applications

Yes, with some provisions.

There is no hard voltage limit for the brushless motors we use. You will reach the RPM limit and destroy the motor before voltage becomes a problem. I dont think you could even reach that RPM on a skateboard. Hobby grade motors become sketchy above 50,000 rpm. While our skate motors are spinning 8-10,000 rpm.

The max power the motor can handle in watts is still the same though, if you increase voltage you need to decrease amps / load or risk overheating the motor. The easiest way to do that would be a higher gear ratio. Going 4wd would do that too. :joy:

Limit the amps in vesc is one way but your also limiting acceleration.

Heat is the main issue motors face, bigger motors handle more heat. More load = More heat.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t try put 18s on my motors, and just match the wattage not without solid research but thanks for the answer!