FatBoy HV ESC - 18S 150A Electric Speed Controller

I’ve heard of the adaptto but 470 dollars for a 4 kw controller seems like a lot ! Sabvoton are bigger but half the price for similar function

Well those 4kW are real constant 4kW not vesc 1min max :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I bet they are, well I have never tried those so when I have spare money i’ll try these controller.

according to you even adding thermal mass for dissipation would not help ?

I have been spoiled with open source software i think :stuck_out_tongue:I’d love to have some VESC like ESC for bigger applications

Yes, with some provisions.

There is no hard voltage limit for the brushless motors we use. You will reach the RPM limit and destroy the motor before voltage becomes a problem. I dont think you could even reach that RPM on a skateboard. Hobby grade motors become sketchy above 50,000 rpm. While our skate motors are spinning 8-10,000 rpm.

The max power the motor can handle in watts is still the same though, if you increase voltage you need to decrease amps / load or risk overheating the motor. The easiest way to do that would be a higher gear ratio. Going 4wd would do that too. :joy:

Limit the amps in vesc is one way but your also limiting acceleration.

Heat is the main issue motors face, bigger motors handle more heat. More load = More heat.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t try put 18s on my motors, and just match the wattage not without solid research but thanks for the answer!

@Kug3lis rememebr when u asked me why i need 80mm motors… this is why, the build i referenced that will be using the 80mm im designing to be used with ur ESC but for the mean time ima be using it w/ the 6.6 from FlipSky

1 Like

I wouldn’t use 18S, but I would love to have equipment rated 18S and using it only for 12S. Never failures!

7 Likes

Hi are you still working on this or is a rip project?

2 Likes

He’s stepped away from esk8.

I don’t think so :slight_smile: This is not a easy nor quick project , maybe not with this one, but he keeps building and selling killer stufffs

1 Like

Maybe have a look here instead

3 Likes