Final Compatibility check!

I’ve been in limbo for the past month because I’m afraid my setup wont work properly. So here it is!

Batteries: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-2s-7-4v-60c-hardcase-pack.html x6 (4 in Series 2 in parallel. 8s2p)

Charging:

BMS:

Motor:

Would this be ok?

(yet to purchase a vesc)

You know right your max ampere usage must be below 15A or the BMS will get cooked. And that means your batteries are kinda overkill/useless because they have such high discharge rate.

Any suggestions? Saw this batteries being used in another post. So i thought it’d be great

maybe use it only for charging and bypass it for discharging?

use the BMS for charging but bypass it for discharging? wont it kill the batteries quicker since the motor sucks power rapidly

Everything is perfect expect for the BMS, the bms only tolerate up to 15A, and your motor 80A. So you will not get the max power with that bms because the max is 15a and it will fry. If you bypass it like @makevoid said, only use it for charging. Then everything should work just fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like what I posted earlier. I’m just afraid that the batt will be killed rapidly? (something about rapid discharge destroying batteries?) without the bms.

I don’t think you should be worried about that.

Let’s hope you’re right. I’ll be scouring for a higher A bms at the same time

Also asking, will the VESC be able to manage the amount of power going into the motor?

No problems, the VESC is 60V and 240A.

so in summary, would it still be necessary for a BMS?

You don’t really need a BMS. Only if you want to charge your board like a laptop(one wire).

maybe you could add an anti spark switch or a fuse at least against rapid discharge (ex: faults / short-circuits)

I’d really like to charge with one wire :joy:

do I also have to utilise a voltmeter(?) like what onloop recommends?

I suggest to search for somebody who knows electric circuits before/while connecting everything together to prevent you creating a short circuit. With any battery but with lipos more than others you risk to make the battery damage itself because of a short circuit.The multimeter lets you test that the current is flowing in the direction you want (checking voltage), and if you turn the knob to the Ω part of the “pie” you will be able to check resistance (for example if a end of a wire is connected to the right end, to see if a material is conductive etc). So either learn some basic things about circuits or get a help from somebody that knows and if you can get a multimeter, get it. ^^

1 Like

Appreciate the advice. Will definitely read more myself and find someone!

Excellent battery choice! And don’t let anyone tell you these batteries are overkill. They are not. Even with these batteries, there will be a little voltage sag. But much less sag than lower power batteries.

I said it was overkill for a 15A Bms, not for a 60A bms.