This is my first build/post. A few months ago I saw a picture of an evolve all terrain board and fell in love with the idea of it. I come from the FPV multirotor world (seems like there’s a lot in common), so after talking with some friends who’d dabbled, I thought I’d try building an eboard myself and seeing if I could save some money. I truly appreciate the learning experience, but if I could go back in time I’d probably just work one overtime shift and buy the evolve board for the sake of spending a little more time with my family lol. This community is awesome, and I am grateful to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experiences. Thanks to Dexter at DIYelectricskateboard and @psychotiller for their help and information. Also thanks @treenutter for helping troubleshoot my speed/torque problem.
My goal was to build something that could ride over well kept grass, so that I could ride my board around at the park and retrieve my FPV drone after I crash it. Riding on the street would be a bonus. I wanted to come in under $1000 (google doc of spending fortunately I had many tools and material already at my disposal which kept some costs down). I came in around $850 and so far I’ve done a few test runs that were REALLY fun. I kind of just mocked everything up for the test run (no thread lock or anything) cause I was so excited to try it out. Turns out a motor pulley came loose and while the board road amazing on the street it didn’t go very far at all on the grass. I’m hoping that has to do with either the loose motor pulley or the VESC settings.
You can refer to the spending link above if you want to see more specifics about the parts I used, but I basically tried to cut costs on the deck, wheels, bearings, battery, mounts, and diy enclosure.
some notes about my parts choices: -I went 12s cause I wanted POWAH!!! -deciding which trucks to use was very difficult for me. I wanted them as narrow as possible without having wheel bite and while still allowing for dual rear mounted motors. I ended up having to offset the mounts in order to fit both motors, otherwise they would have touched. The nuts also aren’t on all the way so I’m gonna hunt for some low profile nuts. -the cheap 6" pneumatic wheels seem ok for now with the home made gears, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the hubs broke. not sure what route I’ll go if that happens. maybe save up for psychotillers awesome aluminum ones. -I had no idea how the deck would turn out for the generic cheap thing that it is, but it seems great so far. Just had to sand a bit off to avoid wheel bite. -home making the battery enclosure was fun. I ended up attaching it to the deck and using a heat gun to slowly go around the perimeter and get the flange to contour more closely to the deck’s curves.
VESC settings are the same for master and slave except for the controller IDs. Here are some pics in case anyone is willing to make some recommendations for what I should change. I’m not sure exactly what min and max limits to set with the RPM and amps given the 12s, dual 245kv situation. I’m also trying to figure out how to keep braking power but loose the regeneration part since I don’t want to shorten battery life with lots of short recharges…
Thanks for reading! :] Nick