First build (Carvon v2 Dual, 10S4P SPACE Cell Pro 4, Ollin VESCs)

Thanks! I’ll add another input later for that. I knew the numbers felt low.

1 Like

Made a video of this build with a friend last night:

5 Likes

@scottkellum Do you have any overheating shut downs on your vescs? I’ve been ridding the dual carvon v2’s for the past few weeks through the tough hills of San Francisco while I upgrade the bearings to ceramics in my 4wd motors, and I get my first vesc shut down at about 15 blocks of riding. Was riding 10s4p, had these issues. Upgraded to 12s4p, and it’s slightly worse or the same. According to my vescs, I pull 60 amps continuous (30 per motor) almost the entire route (even on flats) until the vescs start shutting down from heat. Chaka’s vesc btw with heat sinks. Just curious if you ever have these issues?

I’m assuming this happens due to the fact I’m running at less than 40% of my no load speed for most of my route, and at best, I hit 50% my no load speed, but I never get to that 85% no load speed golden spot. i will be trying 4wd with them in the near future, which should spread the amp draw out, and get rid of these heat issues. But I have to build another deck first, haha.

I haven’t had any heat issues with the VESCs yet but my rolling hills aren’t as bad as SF hills.

The only problem with the v2.5’s is the lower top speed. I need to be able to hit 40 mph at times…

@jinra @runplayback Not sure if this is right or current but jacoby mentions that using the RPM limits on the motor configuration tab can be dangerous since the hard limit can throw you off the board (See 28 minutes into the video below). He limits the speed on his board using the Soft RPM limits in App Configuration > PPM (See 55 minutes into the video below).

I was talking about the eRPM limits in the motor tab, not the soft/hard cutoffs on app config. AFAIK hitting the limit in the motor tab just prevents it from accelerating, but doesn’t cut off.

Yep, that’s the one jacob is talking about in the video, Max ERPM under motor tab (it’s actually at 29 minutes not 28) he says he wouldn’t use those settings b/c it’s hard rpm braking. Jacob may be wrong, I don’t know - just want to put that out there if anyone wants to test out Max ERPM.

Have you used this to limit your speed? it looks like runplayback was never that close to hitting his.

P.S. love your honey driver build.

1 Like

nice build man, i have the exact same setup but with a drop down board.

can you please share the final vesc configuration?

p.s. i saw a video about you on youtube

1 Like

I haven’t used it to limit speed, but i think you’re right soft cut off via ppm settings is probably better. Ideally you’ll want to setup for the right rpm.

My vesc shuts down after I brake suddenly or go up a long hill. I am running a carvon v2 single hub, 12s4p custom pack, and an enertion vesc.

Hey @Davideariel, here are my VESC settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/03kj9d55xdtgsaw/vesc.xml?dl=0

I just tweaked the battery settings slightly and haven’t ridden with the new settings much. Hope you’re enjoying your build!

1 Like

Hey Scott,

Am i wrong or is your battery cut off start set to 3.5v? I’m assuming you want it to be 35v. Also if you want a little more power and responsiveness, you can probably raise the battery max to 45-50a (60 max).

But he is running dual vesc’s ?

So if he has the fuse still in (space cell pro 4), 20A each

And with the fuse out , 40 each

Doing almost the same build and was wondering about these high battery max

oh right, for some reason i thought he was running single.

you won’t blow out the fuse with over 20a per VESC though. it’d have to exceed 40A for a while to blow.

i ran 40a x2 VESCs battery max for weeks without blowing my fuse, and i ride a lot of hills

Oops, thanks for catching battery cut off voltage! totally typod it, fixed now. + @Davideariel

Got a power glove, hacked together with the existing transmitter and lots of work to do to clean up the signal but initial testing is going well!

4 Likes

I love it, it’s so bad.

1 Like

yeah… working on making it not bad, literally just soldered into the existing throttle control and looked at the levels.