First build (Carvon v2 Dual, 10S4P SPACE Cell Pro 4, Ollin VESCs)

wow love it

1 Like

lol I was just making a reference to the movie the wizard. It’s actually pretty amazing. Good luck on development!

1 Like

Yup! Just one and trying to figure out how to wire it to get a clean signal. Soldering directly onto the rotation sensors and adjusting the levels on the VESC at the moment, not super clean but does the trick. I may need to figure out some amplifier setup on the bend sensor to get better levels.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/OdWjv5eeF2Q got it working smoothly and it feels so good to ride with this glove. Now need to make some sort of case for it but went smoother than expected.

4 Likes

Looking good! Maybe you can design some kind of kill switch on it? I imagine bracing for a fall on these might lead to disaster.

1 Like

I’ve been debating the pros and cons of a dead man’s switch and right now having one seems more dangerous than not having one. This is because the neutral position is somewhat hard to find so if the glove is disengaged and then reengaged there may be a jolt of acceleration or braking if it’s not in the correct position. I also want to get the hang of this and find the right position for a switch that feels natural instead of just adding one. This is based off natural hand gestures and right now holding my hand up to stop while forgetting to engage the dead man’s switch is more of a concern than having the board run away from me when I fall. I did add a big fat on/off switch that can be easily toggled with gloves or any other blunt object in case of an emergency.

I’ll work on these issues. First I plan on putting a metal with good shape memory and elasticity into the drive finger to guide me back to a neutral position and then feel out a good place for the dead man’s switch. Right now I’m thinking a contact point between my index and ring finger but need to feel it out more.

Just got thrown riding with the power gloves, good thing I was wearing full pads, a leather jacket, and (power) slide gloves. The fall really sold me on the safety of gloves but the remote mechanism isn’t the safest thing in the world, I gotta work on that.

That sux man. I hope your ok.

Totally fine, thanks!

Hey man, nice build and wow the power gloves must be amazing to ride ! Good to hear you’re fine after that fall !

I like that slot you made for the electronics by removing a layer of wood, I tried doing the same, and this is what happened :

Completely uneven, some dips go down to the last layer… good thing it was a dummy board, do you have any advice on chiseling ?

Ply doesn’t chisel well. I would use a trimmer(router) or sand it out with a dremel or belt. I say trimmer because they’re smaller. It’s easier to keep the contour of your board with a smaller base. If you have a router, make sure your bit is sharp and cut the edges first. Then leave channels as you cut the rest so your router base has something to rest on. Once you only have the channels left, you can use a hand plane to cut them down. If you go the sanding route, chisel out the edges so you have a clean look, then dremel/sand down to your desired level. A scraper can help you make it all level.

1 Like

If you want to do it right, using a chisel is not the right way. I ran with it but it’s not necessarily a path I’d recommend to others.

Hey man, really like what you have done to your board. I am new to eboards and was wondering what type of hub motors you have on your board? Is there a ‘sweet spot’ in choosing the best motor or is personal preference?

I have Carvon v2 hubs, they are awesome. v3 are launching very soon and they look amazing. I highly recommend them, power and ride quality of full size wheels direct driven by big motors is fantastic. Also their customer service has been top notch and he always replies to my questions right away.

Down sides may be that they are kind of pricy, would be cool if they were sensored, idk if v3 will be sensored. Basically sensors allow for better starts from a standstill in FOC but it’s not a big deal as I usually push off to start anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I noticed that your motors are outside the wheels. Is this a preference or does it increase performance?

Yeah, it may not look as pretty but it means the motor can be bigger without having to take away space from the urethane of the wheel. With v3 the wheels are not modified at all so the ride quality should be even better. I’m a big fan of Carvon and will be a return customer in the future for sure. cc @LEVer who makes the motors

I can’t find where to purchase the carveon hub motors, where did you buy them if they don’t offer them on their site?