First build, heavy rider, need help getting started

Hello everybody, i am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a while.

I’ve decided to get myself an electric loangboard of some sort.

Now i have spent quiet a while reading around on the interwebs, trying to find what is up and down in this interesting form of transportation and fun.

And i have come to the decision to diy a board, but must admit i need some assistance with this.

My needs/specifications is as follow:

1. I want a good range since i want to use the board for commuting and a bit of joy riding. Will be riding between 5-20 km per trip, and usually got somewhere to charge the board in the mean time, should the need arise. The roads got lots of small and medium sized hills, and lots of starts and stops.

2. The place i live is fairly cold, wet and rainy most of the year.

3. I am pretty tall and heavy, just above 100 kg / 220 lbs. This is without all the shit i usually haul around with me. so more like 115 kg / 250 lbs.

4. Speed isn’t of the essence, but somewhere around 40 kmh / 25 mph would be nice.

5. Will mostly be driving on asphalt/pavement but might occasionally hit patches of gravel.

Some questions regarding my specific needs/wants have arisen that i have quiet a hard time find satisfying answers for:

Due to the weather conditions, is it even possible to drive around all year/most of the year?

Is my weight a big issue?

Is it possible to make a setup that is mostly “street/cruiser” and less mountain board? (Got experience riding ordinary longboards, but not offroad).

I am thinking about making a dual motor (was thinking 6374’s, haven’t decided on the brand), beltdriven setup. Do i need two ESC’s or one that can run dual setups? In either case, any recommandations?

My understanding is that the batteries got a lot to say about the speed and range, so i was thinking about big ol’ pack of 10S’s of some sort.

Any help will be much appreciated, and in advance, thank you all!

Best regards, RobinRubin

2 Likes

You can make a street setup which is exactly what my build is.
I live in London so also half the year raining
Once you have decided that you like your setup you can bung up all the holes and with a professionally built enclosure waterproof it

Wheel might be a problem as urethane is really slippery when wet and you get a lot of slipping

Your weight is fine and many riders are of that weight

Dual 6374s will get you way faster then 25mph with tons off torque to pull even a heavier guy up a steep hill

You can use a dual vesc or 2 singles.
If you are planning on using singles search up split ppm vs can us and you will learn about that.

Some recommendations are: (Dual) Focbox unity (if you are willing to wait for one to come or you could buy on forum) it’s not a standard vesc as it uses a different vesc tool but recently has proven to be a decent esc.

TRAMPA vesc expensive but the original and are completely bulletproof

Flipsky/maytech 6.6/4.12 the 6.6 is cheaper then a TRAMPA and is good for a high powered build and is a pretty solid vesc while the 4.12 are good for a small low powered commuter build

With the vesc it is really up to you about what battery you use and how much you are willing to spend on your own guarantee of safety

Regarding battery 10s4p - 10s5p should be fine using Samsung’s 30q cells based on areas we can recommend a builder

Sorry for making this so long winded but hope it helps

Lastly if you want some more better info go to esk8 news forum Which is the newer community run forum

Hope this helps a lot

3 Likes

@Halbj613 nice to see you helping out! How’s your build? Did you use the enclosure in the end?

2 Likes

No need to apology for the long reply, it is much appreciated!

So if the 6374’s are overkill, what would be better suited for my needs? Only sat my eyes on the 6374’s because of the hugh amount of power.

And spending wise, i would rather spend what is needed to get a board (that theoretically) could last me a long time and be reliable (I might change my mind on this later on, but i have no illusions about this is gonna be cheap).

1 Like

for prebuilt get the meepo v3 for a build try bkb or look up a budget build

1 Like

The performance of 6374 vs 6355 at say 200kv are quite similar. What’s different is heat dissipation. I believe all the big guys who ride hard struggle a bit with heat, in the motors and the escs. I think you’re okay looking at 2x6374.

If you intend to ride in wet, consider pneumatic wheels for improved traction. Waterproofing a board is a long and difficult path, probably with many failures.

You probably want to start your pack research at about 60 cells (10s6p or 12s5p). A very rough starting estimate is 20wh/mile.

You can probably budget around $1500 ± 500 (big variance because of wet conditions).

What @Halbj613 said is a good starting point.

Yeah love you’re enclosure

I ended up buyin*a used one which fit a earthwing supermodel deck beautiful deck and enclosure

I think 20wh/mile is quite a high consumption rate also don’t larger motors produce more torque

Plus @RobinRubin within riding that board for a month you will want higher speed and power so if you start out jog you won’t have to change later on

Great deck that. Same as the streetwing P1. Plenty of space in there too!

1 Like

20wh/mile is not a high consumption rate

2 Likes

Yeah just was thinking in km and got confused either way a 10s5p with 30q is
15ah x 42v = 450wh which means 22km from that battery you don’t need to go 12s to get that range

Now i have been looking around a bit for an ESC, which i assume is one of the most, if not the most important part. The FocBox Unity seems very nice, but would it be worth it for a dual motor setup, over dual Flipsky FSESC 4.12’s or dual FSESC 6.6?

And for either of these setups, would it be possible to make more than one speed setting? Or does that depend on the controller/remote? (As in lets say, first lvl 15km/h, second lvl 20 km/h. third lvl unlimited/max km/h?)

The speed settings you could do via a phone if you have a metr module Search up what a metr is if you need

A flipsky 4.12 is good if you are on a strict budget but it isn’t the top quality stuff. It would work for a,low power small build but not for anything above that

A 6.6 is already getting into the same category as a focbox unity and is a pretty solid vesc

For a first build I wouldn’t go dual esc such as a unity as when you screw something up both will go not one

You can get 2 single flipsky 6.6 or original focboxes which can be connected via split ppm or cnabus

What is the disadvantage of using a dual ESC? I thought it would be “easier” for a first time builder like me, since it is all in one package.

If i end up buying two ESC’s, i think i will try the PPM split. But is that possible with the 4.12’s?

Else https://flipsky.net/products/fs-esc-6-6 these two could also be fine (and waterproof, atleast they claim they are)

Generally skateboard escs have a high failure rate. If I were you I’d try to get a Unity. Good quality and very easy for beginners. Just be careful about buying direct from Enertion – they’ve been plagued with delays.

If going flipsky or other 2nd tier brands, I’d not buy a dual (if one side fails you replace the whole thing). Especially being a big guy, which demands more power.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the explanation! Someone above mentioned TRAMPA, how are these compared to Unity?

1 Like

excellent, the best, but ka-ching $$$.

Tampa vesc are very expensive but are worth the investment as rather then buying a unity which will probably break in a year or two these are solid and pretty much you never have to touch them

If you are willing to spend the money 100% worth buying them even a used pair

unsubstantiated conjecture…

Say whatttt?? :thinking::thinking: