FOCBOX Unity Dual Motor!

Looks nice but I wouldn’t put all my eggs in one basket. If one thing fails you are stuck and you have to send the whole thing out for repair or replace it.

Don’t be surprised how the open sourced stuffed released in the past was when they no longer make the product.

They do still make FOCBOX – but they refuse to release the source code for the BLDC Tool they offer. I was under the impression that the GPL software license expressly forbids exactly what they do.

2 Likes

Have you download the TOOL you just link… THAT IS VEDDER 2,18 BLDC TOOL… I think you can fin the source code here

And I think because of some TM issue they just wont spell VESC on their website

The facts are, we don’t know which version it is, because they refuse to offer source for it.

2 Likes

My response was to this. I know they make the FOCBOX which is just a version of the 4.12 HW.

I’m totally with you, not every PCB assembly line seams to have the skills to consistently nail them onto the PCB. I doubt that a proper outfit will waste time to hand rework devices in relevant numbers. They work or end in the bin. Since six FETs per device are involved the chane to have failing devices gets higher if your supplier doesn’t consistently solder them. If the machines are not adjusted correctly the entire batch will probably be affected.

6 per unit, batches of x makes a couple of K FETs soon… If there was an issue, you would know that pretty fast. We can say the chance to have a bad solder on fets is far below one permil.

Imagine what would happen if 12 FETs are involved… It gets expensive for someone if something goes funny during production.

When do we get more info @onloop, @barajabali? :smiley: I’m in the market for dual FOCBOX’es, and if this solution is cheaper than two separate, I’m all over it.

(instagram.com/enertionboards)

4 Likes

Ohhhh a change , so that means just one XT60/90 will be needed to power this right ?

1 Like

They use two different DRV :wink: One with buck and one without it so if one fails it will be lottery but 80% it will be with the buck one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not both without? #noobquestion

buck is required to bring down 60V - 5V for everything to work MCU and etc :wink:

So on current vesc designs, when the drv fails, you loose power to the mcu right?

Edit: no you don’t.

Buck is separate DIE inside DRV so incase buck dies it should work…

Yes i am aware of that, i may have misunderstood what you were saying previously.

I meant DRV has higher stress because of buck regulator making extra heat in package not because of buck fails :wink:

1 Like

Ah i understand, good thing both drv’s are coupled to the heatsink then

Yes, but the package sucks :frowning:

Your DRVs aren’t going to be failing because they are slightly higher ambient temperature due to buck regulator losses, that’s a silly notion. They will fail when the gate drivers are stressed outside of maximum limits. An extra 10 degrees Celsius isn’t going to be what makes a difference in your DRV surviving when transient voltage spikes etc burn out the gate drives. The ambient thermals wont even affect thermal dynamics during these fast time constant events.

1 Like

Shit, I shouldn’t have been so eager to buy dual focboxes on sale…now I want this :tired_face:

But with the evolve/focbox heatsink almost being ready, I’m torn between a dual setup or waiting for the Unity…

1 Like