French regulation update is killin us!

Was looking foward to the next Paris esk8 event not so much now. C’est de la merde

Hi Fred, Please have a look on new “code de la route”, it is not the speed limit to ride. But the restriction of the transportation engine. Your board will have to be limited by constructor to 25kmh be equiped with front and rear lights, brakes and warning horn/ring… To do promotion to sell, to rent, or propose services that deals with not approved engine will cost 30.000 € to a professional. To use it 3.000€ to a regular (or goofy) rider… Check the text. You will have to get an insurance otherwise couple of hundreds of bucks, and the insurance will reclame documents to be sure that your board is approved… So please check the text and then do some forecasts, sorry if your business model was in France, but our hobby is over, insert 3.000 other coins to shot again

i checked your link, it’s the 2008 law… BY the way you’re right concerning the 25Km/from factory but several constructors are already found some tips :slight_smile: to allow you to ride the maximum speed (only on private roads, of course, ha ha ha) The only bad point is concerning the DIY, yes you’ll can’t insure a diy board, as you can’t insure a no street legal car…

how does the french government expect to reach their climate change / carbon reduction targets?

by banning the most efficient vehicles currently on the roadway, that’s how.

3 Likes

Hi @FredXanadu,

please trust in me, the law was updated this morning, the driving policies were updated (only few words lines changes to introduce New Vehicule that are scooters, gyro, boards) so the text is the same, if you want to get the boring full change logs click here:

Bellow you will get the screenshot of the timestamp of the new law article.

Guy, law are voted by politicians, and politicians are targeting next election only, carbon reduction target, climat changes, you are speaking about action that won’t get effect before 2050 as climate inertie is 30 years… most of politicians would be dead, or having tea with Alois Alzheimer

Well it’s here in Germany already

Really? Board are locked to 25kmh, breaks, horn/ring and light are mandatory?

I don’t have me board anymore cause it catches fire but they are not really alload in Germany

With more than 30% growth of individual eletcric vehicles crashes in a year in urban areas, one could have expect such regulation… and yes, just for this reason, I think this 25 kmh limitation is a good thing even if I personnaly practice downhill and also e-skate at higher speeds.

I would say it’s a good “starting point” to recover a better feed-back of other citizens about our “community”, because yes, whether we want it or not, we are in their eyes a single community whatever the vehicle we ride : a scooter, a bike, a skate …

Of course such a regulation always comes with a heavy legislative material to discourage anyone to workaround this regulation etc… yet, if you look at what happened with 50cc motorcycle in the early 80s (or even today), well anyone with an unbridled 50cc motorcycle respecting the speed limitation in urban areas never really had problems.

So for me viewing this law just as a ban of our freedom is a big mistake, it’s on the other hand a great opportunity to show a caring attitude in riding all together in the day to day commuting, together with demonstrating the spectacular face of our discipline and rider skills, by mean of organized events. This is the only way to be mass adopted by our citizens and see the regulation evolve in the good sense in the future.

4 Likes

@Redfire1 No eboards are still 100% illegal. Scooters got legal 4 Months ago. (Max speed of 20km/h) You need insurance and some other things. Board still illegal no matter if you drive 5km/h or 40km/h

1 Like

World is mad, Fool rules, Restrictions at every street’s corners balance egocentric minds… We have to intrude Brussels with our own lobbies

1 Like

am I seeing that UK brexit might actually have a + point after all … no EU esk8 laws will happen here… and even any new UK ones won’t happen, our lawmakers will be in paralysis for foreseeable future – grey areas for ever :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know I have a scooter I have insurance for it but it’s 30km I have to Registor it for 25km

1 Like

I will do the same as soon as Alex from LaCroix forwarded to me unity updates to limit to 25kph. I will probably require to get a declaration that the board is limited to 25 kph with new parameter.

@Pura-Vida, are you serious ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Synthetic, I am using my LaCroix 50% off-road into a park (gardens/parks of Versailles castle, and forest trails for bicycles and horses of Rambouillet domain) and 50% on the way to go from home to this location. So or it is possible to set different mod of the VX1 (one restricted to 25, another to 35, last full power) or I will use the unity app to switch from one mode to another.

i’m pretty sure, you’ll never be arrested in Versailles…

You are wrong, 2 weeks ago police checked my documents as I was leaving castle park from a secondary exit. They were curious about the engine and wanted to know a lot about it’s speed, range autonomy, price and weight… To be honest, in Versailles they will check your documents as often as they are doing in North of Paris, main différence will education and how old and dirty is the cars and cycles. In Versailles I suppose they are cleaning them more than a time a decade?

Can’t say if they will stop us in Paris any time soon. I agree the law is crappy and mostly aimed at scooters (because people got afraid of seeing someone on a scooter on the highway mostly) but I’m quite sure that if cops are told to stop all electric vehicles, they will stop us … We’ll see how that goes.

@Pura-Vida which board do you have ? 'cause I’m considering a Lonestar for next summer and would be very happy to know if I can have a legal mode right from the remote :slight_smile: