Gas pedal VESC PPM input

I am working on a lightweight BEV with VESC and 4…8 kW max power. Speed is controlled via normal gas and brake pedals.

Is there a PPM controller around that could be used for the gas pedal?

1 Like

Do you have some pictures of this BEV?

You looking for a Foot controlled throttle?

The BEV is a project, not yet ready. Three wheels, low drag.

I expected the pedal (or sensor) to provide a PPM signal.

This offer says “Output voltage:1-4V” - so I need an AD-PPM-converter, right?

Actually, what you will need for vesc is PWM throttle.

You might need to ask the suppliers for full spec sheets if it isnt clear

Here is another

https://m.banggood.com/Foot-Throttle-Speed-Control-Accelerator-Pedals-For-Electric-Scooter-Golf-Cart-ATV-Quad-Pit-Bike-p-1372262.html?rmmds=search

You could also make your own throttle by buying a hall sensor and a magnet. The hall sensor works like a potentiometer into the ADC1 pin, and the readout changes by the proximity of the magnet. Then you can change the end stops in the vesc app settings to tune it. Then you can also attach brake the same way with the ADC2 pin. When you setup your vesc do current and adc 2 as brake. This is what I do on my ebike with a stick hall ebike throttle, and a diy hall brake. I’m pretty sure all new car’s throttle by wire works with these hall sensors so it’s robust enough, converting it to PWM just makes it more complex. If you do that I would just make some code with an arduino to convert and output.

The sensor I got is the Honeywell ss49e

Cool, I didnt know that a hall sensor provides a continuous signal; and that VESC can use an ADC input this simple.

For braking, I have to stick to classical hydraulics, just to keep a slight chance for a legal license plate.

Yeah, the hall sensor has 3 pins, 3v-5v in, ground, and output. At rest the output is half of the input voltage, and then depending on the polarity of the magnet the voltage changes. Here’s what my bike brake looks like with just a 3D printed hall sensor holder and a magnet. And also a screen shot showing the ADC input monitor in the vesc app where you set the end points.

1 Like

Keep the hydraulics if you have to legally, and for backup. But if your system can handle it you might as well set it up to regen for primary braking, so you can extend your range

JohnA, thanks for the example, so a self-installed hall sensor is the preferred solution. I intended to use regenerative braking, but was not sure how to implement it. Now I figure a hall sensor added to the hydraulic brake pedal could sense the first movement, before the hydraulic brakes actually move.

1 Like