Go dual or buy a FullFace helmet? (i’ve already got a moto one)

ahh lol i should have done that in the first place… thanks :grin:

Well that’s good to know. Already happen this year?

Yes, you are completely correct.

Except in the case of motorcycle helmets. They do not work that way. They have some magic sauce in the eggshell that transfers the force of the impact around your head to the outside of the helmet. Resultant of this they are single-impact devices. Even if you just accidentally drop it on the floor you have to replace it. This was heavily drilled into us in every motorcycle class I’ve taken, and I can find a citation if you want.

2 Likes

for most helmet materials if it hasnt shown damage or collapsed its very likely still going to be very efffective. i quoted some guy who works doing the testing on helmets and while the label will be covering their ass and will always tell you you need a new helmet (of course!) he does say this in effect.

A group buy is when people new to the group want to sell something to a lot of people at the same time and don’t know that they need to be level three members, and then @GrecoMan steps in and calls for moderator-backup and then thread is closed in 3 minutes.

5 Likes

lol @sebike i’m a mod without the mod privileges

2 Likes

2 Likes

i got mine in a GB back in february, but there’s no rule saying it can’t happen again.

Make @GrecoMan moderator please. Ban him again for another minute first… his t-shirt is still unacceptable.

2 Likes

LOL

i think mod is out of the picture at the moment tho, i’m 1 flag away from losing my regular AGAIN

Does anyone have a motorcycle helmet and a tsg pass? it’d be nice to see them side by side for a rough size comparison.

First, I don’t see this as an either/or. You either get the helmet you want or you stick with your motorcycle helmet until you decide you want a lighter, smaller helmet. Separately, you either get dual motors or not. They’re two separate decisions and neither should be compromised. If you need a cheaper downhill helmet, there are open face downhill rated helmets for less than $100, or the Zero Gravity Vector is $190 (please see my helmet guide post for others).

Second, please don’t believe what random people on the internet write without checking the facts. Shudder.

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute argues that a motorcycle helmet is safer for speeds faster than 20 mph. Source: https://helmets.org/powered.htm

As far as motorcycle helmets increasing the likelihood of neck injuries, this is true in some cases but if you crash that hard, you’re also dealing with head impact and the motorcycle helmet would perform slightly better upon impact. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21768134 (Unfortunately the AGV Evo 8 helmet is only DOT rated and not ECE or Snell rated, so the test velocity is only 1.4 mph faster than the downhill velocity impact for the TSG Pass.)

1 Like

I wouldn’t say motorcycle helmets aren’t recommended. The better impact performance would help, but the slight increase in neck injury likelihood from side/rear impacts is also true.

As for weights, the TSG pass is 2.34 lbs (1.06 kg) and MotoNate’s AGV helmet is 3.37 lbs (1.53 kg). Most heads are in the 3-6 kg range, with a medium-large helmet sized head is 4-5 kg.

1 Like

Any helmet that has ExpandedPolyStyrene foam, including motorcycle, bicycle, and skate helmets (including the TSG Pass), need to be checked after a hard impact. If the EPS foam is compressed, it does not “regenerate” and the ability of the helmet to reduce impact is compromised by the amount of the compression.

Many skate helmets have an ExpandedPolyPropylene foam layer that will reform to the original shape after an impact. But any dual-certified skate helmet has an EPS layer, with or without the EPP layer.

Neither of these layers should be confused with the comfort liner.

As for having to replace it and cost, I’ve never heard anyone complain about the cost of replacing a helmet that’s saved their head. And good helmets don’t have to be expensive, just check the impact ratings.

1 Like

Haha yeah, i should have specified a little more, its more of a “i plan on getting both in the long run but i want to know what you guys think i should get first” i tend to do a lot of research on everything but i also like to get others opinions.

Personally I recommend dual drive since you already have a moto helmet. That’s good for now and if you happen to fall and smash it wouldn’t be a smashed new TSG Pass but rather a helmet you were going to replace anyways.

1 Like

True, but at the same time my moto helmet is $380 plus another $80 for the shaded visor… so it would be more expensive to replace than the tsg. im currently trying to sell some stuff i have lying around that i dont use anymore to try to get the $ to get dual and the tsg.

Man and here I was thinking that $50 for a TSG visor was expensive.

1 Like