Griptape Art - what do you want to see?

As some of you know, I’ve invested in a laser cutter for the primary purpose of designing and cutting griptape. I hit a snag on the vendor I was using, they just informed me it will not ship until mid-march at the earliest because of laser tube issues they are having with the model I opted for.

In the meantime, I am doing some hand cuts and gathering artwork for when the eventual laser cutter actually gets here. I am getting some practice and learning the fundamentals of cutting with a laser from a local resource, an HVAC company believe it or not. So I should be ready, when I have the hardware in place,

I have not even started thinking about prices yet, at least not seriously. Pu sImply, this is just something I’ve always liked & enjoyed doing and its damned near impossible to get elaborate cuts by hand. If you have ideas, something you think would make a cool griptape design, specific artwork you would like cut, etc. let me know.

25 Likes

I really love geometrical patterns, and I believe others do too.

The Darth Maul is a very good example of that

6 Likes

I have actually been hand cutting hexagons for awhile now. I really like them too :). When I get the laser cutter up and running I’m going to package them in different colors and sell it as a kit with a guide and everything.

This is a board I’ve been working on for awhile now, if I could just get some free time to and decent weather I’d finish it and show it off here.

22 Likes

Oh man, I’ve some Monster Hunter Art I’ll be hitting you up for :blush:

3 Likes

Haven’t seen anyone use any MC Escher patterns yet. Those patterns are crazy!

If I had that laser cutter, I’d definitely cut something Escher inspired!

3 Likes

That would be NUTS!

1 Like

are you able to engrave for el wire?

might have to fire up the shopbot at school for that

Good idea, Ill definitely look into that.

1 Like

I think so, I can take off 5mm deep pretty easy. Ill have to try it out.

2 Likes

I would be interested in antihexagons. Imagine the hexagon pattern except make them really small and make the spaces between them really big. Now imagine the inverse of that… So basically hexagon-shaped holes all over. While you’re at it, I want the hexagons that were cut out as well… for a different deck … :slight_smile: and just like that, no waste

3 Likes

you bettter setup your laser outside when you cut grip

chlorine gas is no bueno i hear :rofl:

3 Likes

Its sealed and has a vacuum pump, all good :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@mmaner how dou you cut the grip? the one i’m using is very rough and the glue is a nightmare, sticks to everything, cutting just the outline after gluing was exhausting and there’s lot of the residue on the side of the deck that i still have to remove, i can’t imagine cutting the amazing patterns you did, but hey, maybe my grip is crap

I usually draw/print whatever I want in reverse, trace or paint or whatever on the back of the grip tape and cut it from the back, when I am hand cutting anyways.

1 Like

Since my boards name is based off the dragon Ball flying nimbus id like this design on my grip tape maybe just an outline or something.

https://s1.narvii.com/image/loc4ovfla7yuhcrequp4v2jui6rxu7xq_hq.jpg

4 Likes

OK, Ill see what I can do, would you be adverse to having the entire shape cutout and an underlay in vinyl to get the shaded area? I can do a mock up so you can see what I mean.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind that it actually sounds nice.

2 Likes

Cool, I see what I can come up with. It’ll be Wednesday before I can start, its my wifes birthday today and I have Anthrax tickets for tomorrow night :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s awesome I’m in no hurry and wife’s always come first.

1 Like

Iv access now that I did the course to lasersaur and a much better trotec laser cutter …how would I cut a design into my grip tape thinking some Japanese tattoo designs as iv a few lol