Helmet Suggestions for 30+ mph in So Cal

Alright, thanks for the tips. I’m running an Evo Falcon 40, so I’ll have to account for the difference from the angle in the board itself.

To do that would I just measure the truck angle relative to the ground? (As opposed to the deck)

Better to add the know angle of the deck on top of the baseplate angle for an accurate measure. Measuring with a protractor likely won’t be very accurate.

The evo has a nice split already. So if you haven’t done anything yet I’d say start out with trying a harder durometer bushing in back without changing anything else.

honestly just looking at the 2 I’d say the TSG is better for road use,

falling at 40 mph on clear road, I feel like the tsg would do a better job of slipping and not getting caught on anything.

Also OP I think your tsg pass was cheaper than a head-scan.

1 Like

he said 30 mph

1 Like

So, if your riding an evo then you are already using a very “split angle” setup already… Not sure the standard baseplate angle on the TB trucks, but if it’s 50, you might want to try swapping out the front for a 44 or 45 degree baseplate… and maybe same with the back trucks… lower angle will stabilize the board overall…

Hey, so you mentioned torqueboard trucks… are you using the stock bushings/pivotcups/washers they came with?

I’ve heard the pivot cups are really not stable. And similar things about the bushings being bad.

I would check out alphamail’s thread on bushings and tuning your trucks…

Might be just a pivot cup brushing adjustment…

Yeah looks like that was the main suggestion. I have the cups and bushings figured out, toqueboards recommend switching them out right on their website. The part I wasn’t sure about was the split angle. If you think that the split angle that the Evo sets up is good enough, then that is what I’ll stick with.

I didn’t have a tsg pass, I had a tsg evolution, which is woefully inadequate for the speeds I was going. Insurance covered the bulk of the cost of the cat scan though, but if I had damaged my face, it would have haunted me for life…

1 Like

Looks like that is the plan for now. 96a cups and some barrel and cone bushings

1 Like

Never never have a lower angle in the front than in the back

Context. It’s for a Evo so his recommendation is solid. Evo adds wedge to the front and dewedge in the rear. So u want 44 baseplates in front and 50 rear to end up with something like 51 front 43 rear

1 Like

Where does it mention it’s for a evo?

Here @AlanZhou

And @Xyven u want harder duro bushings in the rear especially with lower angle trucks since u have more leverage.

And tsg pass sucks in the summer especially when you’re not moving. In the winter is really good because it blocks the wind

1 Like

Generally, yes, “never” have a lower angle front truck than your back truck…

That said, specifically for the “Evo” deck… I believe the split from the decks produced in recent years is about 12 degree wedge in front, 12 degree dewedge in back… that’s a 24 degree total difference.

If he changes his front baseplate to a 44 or 45 degree baseplate, it WOULD become less “twitchy”… and since the difference of angle split is so great between the front and back… his front truck setup would still would have 18 or 19 degree higher angle than his rear truck setup…

This is just because the evo is highly wedged and dewedged when compared to other decks… on most decks you couldn’t do This without running into the problem of having a more steering sensitive rear truck.:. Which is what you DONT want.

Or… yes, thanks Tioxd10001. If I read more of the post before responding then this woulda covered it. Good looking out.

Keep in mind that even the mountain bike impact test (ASTM F1952) is designed to prevent death during a drop test where the impact is 13.9 mph (22.3 kph). Hopefully your angle of impact isn’t this bad, but you might look into getting a motorcycle helmet (ECE rated or even better, Snell M2015 rated). They weigh more and are larger, but the physics of what you’re doing far exceeds what a bike helmet is designed to do. This website articulates as much: https://helmets.org/powered.htm

As for skate/bike helmets, the TSG Pass and Triple 8 racer are the safest on the market (Zero Gravity Vector also if you can find one) with face shields. My previous post digresses: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/helmet-guide-these-70-skate-bicycle-helmets-have-the-best-impact-ratings/59646