Help! single hub build

Hello,

semi-noob here

I would like to build a single hub motor e-board that tops out at 15mph and has the longest range and most torque possible… im a skinny dude and dont do any sliding or downhill fancy stuff… just 15mph is good for me…

the battery must have some kind of system where i can plug it directly into a wall

i need to buy a hub motor with the maytech style square hole mounting style… NOT THE EWHEELIN

what would the specs for this system be

TBH… just including links to the esc and battery that i should buy on aliexpress or ebay or something would be AWESOME… im also not sure if the motor above would fit the specs i need… so including a link for one of those as well would be great… but as long as it has the square insert style for mounting to the truck…

YOU tell us what the specs should be! what are your ideas? what have you seen in recent builds that inspire you? what about those builds don’t you understand? why do you think your system works? why doesn’t it? do you need help picking out a battery configuration to settle on? or if your motor is any good? a lot of research goes a very long way.

3 Likes

Unless you don’t have any hills at all, I wouldn’t recommend going single hub…maybe single belt instead?

4 Likes

One hub for a lot of torque? Don’t think that’s possible

5 Likes

Its been a while since ive done a diy board and i ve forgotten a lot of the lingo and math behind it…

am i correct in saying that if it get a certain strength of esc and battery… and all that i want is 15mph… i can trade off some speed for torque and get a lower kv…

im pretty sure i want 10s… and not sure if theres any reason why NOT to do that since its apparently most common…

the maytech style motors on ali express are 36v…

i know absolutely nothing about what esc to get… (or even what a vesc even is)…

i have no idea conceptually what amount of amps to chose… given that im pretty much going with 36v…

am i correct in saying that like most electronics… if a battery is 36v… then the motor must also be 36 volts no less… but the amps are basically the fuel tank… are motors rated for amps??? or watts or something like that?

i havent really been able to find a beginners guide to spec-ing out hub motors… only random old school articles from 3 years ago with pictures of enertion belt drives…

the reason i am going with single hub is A: im only needing 15mph so if i get a typical 20mph system and then just trade off speed for torque in a lower kv motor (probably made no sense there)

B: its already widely done such as on the acton boards… not saying these are amazing boards but they certainly work for my needs… and just sayin… dont act like its not “a thing” to use one hub motor… its rather robust for what its intended for…

C: i am using a pair of extremely rare custom trucks that are smaller and narrower than usual trucks and dont stick out from underneath the board… they only fit one hub motor… with the square insert thingy on the hanger

the deck i am using is smaller than a penny board (extremely mini) i have already been able to fit other electronics setups on it and if i run into problems can always just sacrifice kicktail space and move the trucks farther apart…

I have a pair of super rare trucks that are extremely narrow and fit completely under the deck… unlike ANY other hub motor trucks i have seen that jut out very wide and completely defeat the purpose of a small portable deck… (also i have no problems going high speed with my feet basically scrunched onto a tiny board and hanging off the sides etc… im used to it… even without griptape i have done many times… slightly drunk… etc… its all about portability for me… and maybe even the ability to slide into a backpack but i plan on figuring out some kind of hook system to just have it attatched to the side… i know for damn sure with those giant hub motor trucks commonly available it wont fit inside anything much less a backpack… so i am using these very rare mini hub motor trucks… they only fit the maytech style mount not the ewheelin…)

im prepared to drop a couple hundred bucks on a motor, batteries, esc, remote… etc… i dont really have time to fuck around and have a lot of responsibilities going on right with work… and just want to buy parts that are compatible and match and wont explode on me… and will meet my STATED needs… much appreciated…

Maybe best to start off by doing a bit more research then show us a list of parts which you think will work best for you. Then everyone can give input on what will work well or what might need changing etc to meet your requirements

Motor options:

not concerned about the small diameter because i dont mind changing the outer rubber sleeve every so often and arent going to be doing much intense stuff… just cruising at decent speed… and i weight 130 lbs…

im wondering if the $50 one will be any good vs some others that are $100

VESC: i have no idea where to start… do i need to use a vesc or can i use an esc??

Battery:

i want something i can charge with a wall charger NOT the imax B6… i have only made skateboards that require an imax to charge… can someone inform me what these new style of batteries are that dont require the imax… do they have some sort of “BMS” attatched… i dont want to solder anything and im generally terrified of lithium ions… just want something premade with the BMS…

like i said before… im leaning towards 10s1p… based on… nothing at all just the fact that the motors are 36v…

not sure how “big” of a battery i would need in order to get 10-20 miles distance… or is that more to do with the vesc…

does the range have to do with amps? etc… one thing at a time… what types of battery packs can be charged with a wall outlet without an IMAX b6… and that i dont have to diy solder anything…

10s1p won’t give you much torque

what are you suggesting? and changing what parameter would make a difference?

If you’re wanting a reasonable amount of torque you’re almost certainly going to have to go dual hub motors, particularly if you want to be able to climb anything more than small hills. You’re probably also going to struggle to fit a battery big enough to give you as much range as you want if your deck is smaller than a penny

1 Like

Hi, i have tried different hub drives and amongst them are the Maytech hubs. Firstly i would advise against a single setup. Secondly the only good esc match ups are vesc’s or the proprietary maytech dual hub esc. I tried the Maytech’s 90mm hubs with the e-bay, meepo style esc and i can tell you it’s a terrible match up. At the moment @PredatorBoards is doing a hub and esc group buy for hubs which I consider better than the Maytech’s. But in this case you have to use the proprietary rear truck. And buy the way all the cheap hubs are already quite low in the kv department 60-70 kv- ish. You can always lower your speed in using beginner mode.

For hubs you’ll probably want 10s3p minimum with 18650 cells if you want a decent amount of torque as well otherwise you won’t be able to push much current to your motors, chances are a battery that size isn’t going to fit on your deck though.

You could do with a smaller lipo pack which could push more current then an equivalently sized 18650 pack but you still won’t have amazing range and I don’t know how practical it is to use an integrated BMS with lipos.

so wait… you mean 18650 arent lipo packs?.. gotcha… so i need an 18650 pack with an “integrated BMS”

i dont need that much torque… i only meant to say that since i only want 15mph… i would opt for lower kv in a toss up… does this mean 10s1p could work? … hills arent a huge priority…

i also hear higher than 10s is dangerous? is this unfounded?

to solve space issues im willing to go bigger on the deck as long as its still reasonably portable…

but to be honest i dont need more than 7 miles range… so i guess i could live with a smaller battery… how does this exactly transfer to the specs of a battery… what exactly is at play here… the s or the p (lol)…

ultimately the pressing question is what kind of setup would work with ONE of the above linked motors… for at least 7 miles range…

is the 50 dollar motor linked above any good vs the 100 dollar

you’re making me bang my head against the wall

4 Likes

if you use lipo instead of 18650s you can use a smaller battery that will have more power.

you say you only want a little power and small range now…

If you change your mind about making a diy board, a genesis hellfire, Koowheel or a Meepo would be a great choice!

1 Like

I think you really need to do a lot more research before you do anything else. All I’ll say is I wouldn’t recommend a single small hub or 10S1P regardless of the top speed or range you’re after.

2 Likes

sorry to change it up… but i just want something that will WORK with a single maytech style hub… THATS IT… and a battery that can be easily charged with a AC outlet cable… to be clear… whether it can climb hills or travel far is a question of what kind of setup would achieve that… and if it exists for single hub… Im not pigeon holing to one specific spec of hub motor… or one specific esc etc… just that theres one single hub motor…

Buying 2 hub motors is a much better option, you will probably want it in the future anyway.

i’ll sell you a single. I like the idea of the single for it’s minimalism and cheapness. but i’ll pm you. it’s like two motors in one, big motor. but don’t want to ramble on about it now and pouring tires but if you want a single that has more power that’s what these are that i’ll be selling soon.