Help with Focbox firmware / bootloader upgrade [VESC TOOL]

Hey guys,

So I installed new motors on my build and when I hooked up my vesc’s to vesc tools, I received the error that my firmware was old and I needed to update. (FW3.26) ( HW410)

On my master vesc, everything worked out fine it is now running 3.29. My slave foc seems to show signs of a missing bootloader. I go to update the firmware it shows complete, the vesc shuts off but does not restart.

I know the vesc tools offers the bootloader option when doesnt seem to do anything. I am currently stuck in an endless cycle of “old firmware” on this 1 focbox.

Can someone help guide me in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Chris

Well if it’s any help, if you were able to update to v3.26, you do indeed have a bootloader

But from 3.26 to 3.29… no clue, restart the tool and power cycle the boxes

2 Likes

Yeah that is true, I have tried power cycling the boxes, Computer, software and different USB cable to try to narrow it down but no luck.

Well if it’s any help, if you were able to update to v3.26, you do indeed have a bootloader

But from 3.26 to 3.29… no clue, restart the tool and power cycle the boxes

Welp still nothing. Tried manually pushing Ackmamiac’s firmware via Vesc tool with no luck.

Are you uploading firmware while the slave vesc is configured as such? If so, disconnect can, and then upload. Once uploaded use the new firmware to reconfigure

I think…

What I would do in your situation is go step by step, as if you were configuring the slave as a standalone for the very first time. Then again, I have not used firmware 3.6

1 Like

Canbus is disconnected and I am plugged directly into the slave. It behaves as if everything flashes fine but it doesnt complete the power cycle and its stuck on the old firmware

I think I’m out of my element here. I don’t know what to do for sure, and don’t want to mess your s*** up

2 Likes

I mean any info would be great, Unless you know where I can download the bin for 3.26 and the version of vesc tools so I can “downgrade” the master and I guess be stuck there.

Have you thought about running y-piece?

1 Like

Not sure what you mean?

Well I found the vesc tool 079 for 3.26 thanks to @BigBoyToys and downgraded my master. Seems like my only option :-\

2 Likes

Where you located? Think this could use some programming via the SWD port

Queens NY … I’m hoping someone can help me.

Can be delivered today HonYan Mini Emulator Downloader ST-Link V2 STM8 STM32 Programming Unit (Random Color) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZZ6USL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_he11zbBBPBNAN

With the individual pin connectors will that fit on a Focbox?

Yeah you’re gonna need to open up the focbox to access There might be silicone over the pin holes, carefully peel it away Ooo with that one you will need female to male leads, it only comes with female to female You can convert female to male pretty easily though, snip off some resistor/led legs off and stick them in

Hmm ok so I don’t need to buy JST connectors then? Do you have a guide to flash the focbox? I have seen a few guides but for just regular vescs. Not sure since of the HW version it would be different.

It’s hw version 4.12, flashing it is the same as any other

Mine are coming up as 4.10

That’s where your issue might be… There are no hw4.10 focbox