High speed (40-50 mph) build! I need advice/help please

What do you mean? So if my ERPM is 78k, and I set the limit to 60k on my VESC, will it stay under 60k or go to the 78k? Because if it does then it’ll blow my VESCS

Before I throw my 2 cents in here, I’m gonna agree wholeheartedly with @willpark16 - If you’re really gonna try this, eliminate ALL dangerous variables. I don’t want to hear about this project on the news cause your board gave out on you.

That being said, I appreciate projects that seems insane on the first pass. Here are some tips I can think of that are gonna make this safe/more achievable.

1. If possible, test ride your deck/trucks at a higher speed before strapping the motors on. Familiarity on a deck will be huge when you actually try it.
  2. You’re going to want your center of gravity to be as low as possible. If possible, mount all your electronics/batteries on top of the deck and run your motors outside your deck. Lower deck=more stability.
  3. Look at what downhill boarders use whenever they make their speed runs. Those guys are used to hitting high speeds. They know their stuff, especially when it comes to truck/wheel setup.
  4. Soft wheels are ideal. You don’t wanna slide at 40mph.
  5. From what I’ve read, you’re going to want smaller (75mm-ish) wheels for high speed. You’ll have to get clever with your gearing/motor choice but it will keep you safe when you actually try going for it. 6.Make your wheelbase as long and as wide as you can without losing maneuverability. 7.Make sure you configure your VESC so that if something happens, your motors don’t lock up on you.
  6. Don’t do this alone. If something (anything) goes south, you want people ready to make sure you’ll be okay.

Overall, be smart, do your research, and don’t take any unnecessary risks. I’m excited to see how this comes together. Ask questions- better to find out you’re wrong now than when you’re on the road. Good luck man.

yeah im not really trying to go 70 mph, they were just joking, im aiming for 40mph

dont worry im actually aiming for around 40 max under safe conditions

what do you mean by the “speed boost” on your FOCBOX??

40 is much more realistic stay off the city steets with it though aim for open road full throttle. Build around your battery which for this would need to be 10 or 12s

1 Like

No one should attempt to go 50 mph or higher unless you have adequate protection like wearing motorcycle gear at this point. Dress for the slide, not style. You probably break both your legs and maybe a clavicle in the fall of your board.

3 Likes

okay i will do that, should i buy 2 lipos and connects them in series or should i buy lithium ion, OR should i make my own lithium ion pack with singular cells?

yeah, im not trying to die ahahahhah

Lithium ion is good for the long run and can be much safer/easier

From.my personal experience, and I actively run lipo and li-ion, a well made 10s4p 30q pack is as good as high C lipos. Li-ion is a lot more expensive but it supports more charge cycles so it equals out.

Mathematically lipos have more available amp delivery but the loss after substantial charge cycles is substantial. After 15’ish builds I would NOT consider running a lipo build at 10s or greater without a BMS so the price point gets even closer.

2 Likes

okay, can you point me in the right direction where i can find info about adding a on/off switch, and an easy charging method for recharging the battery and not having to worry about it overcharging and being dangerous?

okay thanks for that info, i think im going to go with lithium ion due to the charging management and safety

The simplest solution is a Bestech BMS which has a power switch. It’s good for lipo or li-ion, although you will want to get the cutoffs programmed differently when you order the BMS, based on the chemistry you choose.

Well first are you going to build it or buy it

either way works to be honest

okay ill keep that in mind

I’d say but if you have no experience in building because it will usually be more expensive to build it yourself than buy it if you don’t have the tools

Talk to @Namasaki, he knows more about Bestech BMS’s then sooner i know.

okay, if i buy a premade lithium ion pack, am i able to still add on a bms, switch, and charger port?