High speed (40-50 mph) build! I need advice/help please

All that comes with a properly assembled battery pack

1 Like

okay i will do that

1 Like

ok thanks perfect

@willpark16 actually builds batteries if I remember

1 Like

Thanks pat and yea I do depending on what your looking for and the time frame I can probably help you out

1 Like

@KeivanM it might be worth mentioning (may have already, I skimmed most of the thread) that riding a barebones board at those speeds is completely different to riding an electric board at those kinds of speeds. I’d suggest making sure you break-in your board first to make sure any issues are ironed out at lower speeds, rather than at full speed. Also take note of the temperature your VESC/ESC hits when doing this too, because having it overheat at 40mph and cutting power on you could shock you enough to loose balance. Speedwobbles shouldn’t be a problem if you’re proficient enough at riding a board at high speeds. I’d also agree with @BigBoyToys original suggestion, I get that Hubs get a lot of hate at times, but Top speed is definitely where they win However if you really want to go with belt, I’d suggest a large wheel, and if you’re not used to riding a board at those speeds then I’d suggest going with pneumatic instead of thane.

2 Likes

Have you found pneumatics to be more stable at high speed?

I get that Hubs get a lot of hate at times, but Top speed is definitely where they win

How do you come to that conclusion? I can easily reach 40 to 45 mph on a dual belt drive. Can go faster if I change my ratio.

3 Likes

so do you sell these lithium ion batteries that you make? how much if you do? Im looking for a 12s battery that can take me about 12 miles or more on one charge.

1 Like

okay thank you for that advice ill take this into consideration!

A 1:1 gear ratio will always reach a higher speed with the equal motor. Obviously if you can’t get the torque to reach the speeds you’re screwed. Also obviously if you really wanted you could go a 2:1 ratio on a belt, but that would be pretty rediculous. I also wasn’t saying belt can’t reach those speeds, fastest I’ve gone on one of my belt systems is 80 something km/h and I tend to average 60 on my trampa as a top speed.

stable… I wouldn’t say more so either direction, but more forgiving yes, I can hit some pretty horrid debris or potholes with the pneumatics where as thane can result in some pretty scary situations at those speeds, or dead stops if I’m going too slow xD

1 Like

You average 60km/h on a trampa!? whats your top speed?:laughing: They get squirrely at 30km/h, you must have superhuman ankles!

3 Likes

As my top speed I tend to get 60km/h on average. I average about 40-50 on my long rides. I don’t find an issue with them, I feel a lot more comfortable on a trampa versus a longboard, but that’s mostly to laziness as I find there’s less effort to keep stable at those speeds on the trampa.

No offence, but I need to see it to believe it. Never seen someone ride a trampa over 25mph with any amount of confidence. Are you running stock geometry?

2 Likes

Sadly not, I’ve been pretty slack lately with it. I got a real case sorted and then I never really bothered with much more as I need to go down to bunnings to get a few things :slight_smile: I’ll happily organise it at some point for you.

I hit ~30mph all the time on my street carver. It’s seen 35mph maybe 2 dozen times. Nothing ever seemed super sketchy about it. And my trucks are really loose too.

Again, I need to see it to believe it. To date all I have seen is super sketchy handling on those trampa builds. . Don’t get me wrong, they seem great up to 20 mph but it is the last thing I would want to be riding at 35 mph. Definitely wouldn’t recommend it for a speed build.

4 Likes

Haha if I’m comfortable on this at 30+ i guess I should really try a dedicated speed board then huh :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the setup you are running to reach such a high top speed?

My experience so far with Trampa builds is similar. They arent stable above 25mph. My buddy has a 16ply 4wd and hits 30mph+ regularly but definitely looks wiggly at those speeds.

4 Likes