Has anyone looked into taking the guts from a broken (or unwanted) hoverboard and using the hub motors from it to make an electric longboard? You can get broken ones for fairly cheep (ive seen them around $100). You would get two sensored hub motors in 6.5"-10" wheels (depending on the hoverboard). and a questionable but potentially good enough 36v lipo pack.
You would have to get pneumatic wheels of a similar size for the front obviously, but since the wheels would be bigger I would have to imagine it would give you a much better ride.
I’m thinking about possibly going that route with my build, but I figured I would ask if anyone has done it before.
They would make awesome electric mountain board wheels but you would have to modify the hell out of them. I brought this up in another thread a while back and somebody mentioned that they are just insanely low KV and you would basically have to re-wind the stators to make them useful on an eboard. In their current state, they’re basically all torque and no top end, i think they max out at like 5 or 7 mph. That’s what would have to change, and i think it could be done. That is to say, i want somebody to do it so i can see what happens.
well its built for 36 volts. I ran it at only 22 so you might be able to get like 12 mph out of it maybe. Thats pretty good for an off road board. If you ran sensors on it, this thing could be used for some extreme off road situations.
I also have all the control boards for it and stuff. the entire thing. except for the battery ( i took that and used it for selfish purposes ) lol which is why this board doesnt work anymore. IF you any part of it just let me know a counter offer. I have no use for it
This hub motor would work for sure. I believe Onloop new mountainboard video is using a hoverboard hub motor mounted on a custom made truck. I have these thoughts as well to use hoverboard motor, but if I can’t get my hands on the truck, its hard to make this happen.
My thoughts for a truck, would be to get a steel truck, and weld on a steel pipe (on the bottom or back side of the truck) that would fit around the axle of the motors. then just have a cutout in the middle of the pipe for the wires to go through. and use bolts in the pipe to clamp down on the axle of the motor.