How do I hook up a honking horn?

you just need pressure rated pvc, you can find some thats 600 psi.

EDIT malfunction was due to intermittent mini deans ā€“ swapped out for XT30, all good now.

Got it wired into the board now. A photo and a breakdown for others looking to do something similar.

Couldnā€™t find a proper place for the horn itself (yet), so for now lol itā€™s hanging off the front like a black round unicorn horn. The mounting tab on the horn is some soft metal, itā€™s not gonna survive too long.

I had crimp contacts that fit the horn tabs. The green thing is being used as a 12v BEC, XT60 taking power from the battery pack at 10s voltage. The green thing also has a 5v output that is unused here.

The little black connectors are mini deans.

The receiver, vesc connects to channel 2, the turnigy switch to channel 1. This switch acts as a momentary when I turn the wheel on the remote to the left.

Iā€™m probably gonna cover the horn in heat shrink to protect from mud and maybe knock it down a few db. And I gotta find a better place to mount it up.

Iā€™ll probably heatshrink all the little electrical pieces together so theyā€™re in a neat bundle.

BTW this thing is a pain to test, annoys the whole neighborhood. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

mm iā€™m pretty sure i can mod my led circuit to use a horn/speaker.

but honestly I donā€™t why you wouldnā€™t put it on the remote instead of the board? it simplifies so much!

edit: If this post gets more than a few likes Iā€™ll make it :wink:

6 Likes

I agree with wanting a bell or horn like the metroboards have but I also agree itā€™s much simpler to put it on the remote. And while we are talking remote ā€“ remotes need to run on an 18650 cell already, not sure why none do

I think you missunderstood me. it would still be hand activated, and much more reliable if it was in the remote.

a couple of my custom remotes did, but they get bulky and unless you have high power leds in the remote, charging becomes so rare its actually less convenient because you go months without need to plug inā€¦then forget, then dead on a ride :frowning:

Oh, great point. Iā€™m converted

well i guess i have another project to tryā€¦ need some audio samplesā€¦

1 Like

Nice job! Just make sure to loctite the nut on the mounting post. Maybe fashion a second tab to affix it to the other truck mounting screw.

The first 3 seconds and the last 4 seconds of this clip spliced together is my recommendation.

I would like to have the roadrunner beep if given a choice.

3 Likes

second this

1 Like

oh yes!!!

1 Like

and this for option 2

1 Like

Specifically, the one at 742 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_41tM6H2Y&t=742s

Update. The metal bracket broke off in about 4 days. Iā€™ve got it gaffer taped to the board for now, but as expected the output is greatly attenuated. Will play with various mounting schemes and report back if I find something usable.

Haha!! Is it bad I like this??

So this morning some guy walked into the crosswalk against the light without looking. I had room but thought Iā€™d test the horn. This is with all the tape so itā€™s pretty quiet. Beep, and the guy looks up, gets a really pissed expression on his face and starts cursing at me. Hmmm, not the reaction I was expectingā€¦

I cut some of the tape off, the decibels are up near usable levels now. Iā€™ll see how long the gafferā€™s tape lastsā€¦

2 Likes

BIKIGHT Bicycle Electric Horn USB Charge Loud horn 110-120db 22.2-31.8 Bars IP65 Waterproof Safety Cycling Bells 40g

2 Likes

The new maytech remotes donā€™t have room for it. Iopened one up last night hoping for the same thing. There is room for a larger pouch though.

Iā€™m probably ordering this and attaching to remote.

The car horn with gaffer tape is holding up lol. Was very helpful today. This time an Asian lady suddenly starts running across the road without looking. BEEP! She took a full second to react, but fast enough to save our asses.

Iā€™ve had this happen to me a few times, I donā€™t understand this behavior. Itā€™s very scary because if they look up and see me theyā€™ll stop or slow down, so I have to find room to go in front of them or waaay behind them.

Iā€™m gonna see if the tape holds on until the 3d printer comes inā€¦

1 Like