How often do you turn off your board?

putting a laptop to sleep is the perfect example…

when it’s in sleep mode it’s not being used much, and thus barely drains.

i always put my laptop in sleep mode, and that gives me about -1% per day. AT MOST.

easier to deal with then having to reboot everything and lose all my work.

Right but we don’t gain anything from what I gather from leaving the esk8 on I get it for convenience and quick start on the laptop. What’s the loss with using an XT-90 loop key. I’m just failing to get the advantage of always on board.

1 Like

… it’s like having a xt-90 loop key in car/ on my laptop.

looks ugly and destroys the A E S T H E T I C i’m going for.

also… it prevent the issue of the switch failing in the first place.

I had a eBoosted button and a LHB mosphet and they both failed… so… no thanks. that’s 55$ gone already…

i’d prefer always on and just have a smaller chance of things going wrong.

Right well I’m with you on avoiding the switches but that’s why I use the loop key. I could see the aesthic argument but people have made some nice 3d printed solutions for loop key or bullet connector ways of turning on and off.

agh, loop key

why must u be so ugly

what are these “solutions” you speak of… i’m gonna guess they only complicate everything.

Hah sorry on mobile so can’t do quick searching and linking but will do it when I’m home, I have one of my own but I wouldn’t say I design things with aesthetics in mind at all usually I’m just aiming for function but I’ve seen a few nicer solutions will post back later so long as I remember.

I’m with this guy. This is dumb. I should have stopped following this ages ago. How do I get my seconds back? I should have turned this board off ages ago.

4 Likes

@Deckoz integrated an antispark switch using bullet connector and 3d printed mechanical parts. More aesthetically pleasing than loop key. If the vesc incorporated an auto shut off, then this wouldn’t be an issue. But you’re proposing to not include an important safety device for the sake of looks. I get that you’re very focused on your skate. But heaven forbid something happens in your life that prevents you from being near your eskate for whatever reason, wouldn’t you want to have a way to isolate the batteries from all load? How many videos do you need to see of batteries going thermal before you realize the potential energy stored and how dangerous that can be if not handled with care. Do what thou want @never4getf150forums, most on this forum are trying to help you prevent messing up bad.

2 Likes

Deckoz one was one of them I was thinking of, anyone know off hand who made the one that hinges into the front trucks? Saw it in the pictures only thread. Seemed a little less easy to get that one out in an emergency but looks wise was pretty nice and agree with the regulars it’s a safer thing to have than not.

This is mine

Google Photos

Wouldn’t say anything about my build is really pretty or clean especially compared with some of the builds on here but so far it has kept me pretty safe and gotten me from point a to point b while having fun.

1 Like

Dropped my board off before i went on a small vacation to my grandmothers house for a few days, didnt notice that i never turned the board off.

I always do it when i take my board up so i assumed i did came home checked the board didnt turn on checked the battery it was way under the limit took me damn ages to fix it up.

1 Like

@never4getf150forums some options I think are pretty nice below in no particular order just the order I found them in searching around here

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/5565

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/5852

^^ not sure why took an incredible amount of scrolling around in the no pics page to find that one but I think it’s worth looking at

3 Likes

wait so let me get this straight… you don’t use either a loop key/antispark switch and your board is just perpetually on with no way to turn it off?

is that right?

definitely keep commenting how stupid this is with no actual evidence to back up, excellent way to “get your seconds back”… thank you for your intellect.

basically yes, I want to test if it is as big as issue as most people claim it is… my theory is no, it’s not an issue.

good thing i won’t drop my board off to my grandmothers house for a few days… and if i do i will simply just open it up and disconnect the battery manually to be sure.

once again. everyone is acting like i’m going to take a 2 month vacation… i’m not, this board will be used literally every day and monitored closely… it’s summer and it’s ride time baby.

i don’t have time to waste dealing with burnt out switches/ buttons…

Has there ever been 1 instance where someone took their loop key off during thermal runway and it prevent the battery from getting damaged?

that seems about the same as closing all the windows/doors of a house on fire in order to prevent the fire from getting oxygen… will it technically do something… sure, will it stop a thermal runway or a battery fire… doubtful.

no, but are they battery driven? ffs

just take a multimeter… i better stop reading more from this topic-.-

4 Likes

tumblr_inline_o5v40dTIwh1tzstsc_500__01

1 Like

@Nordle best aswer yet!

@never4getf150forums Just do a measurement and idling electronics amperage draw and calculate the estimated time to empty. Saying everything is bullshit when you dont actually have more proof than a lot of guys that have years of experience with electronics is asking for the kind of anwers you got…