I think I just f#cked up my Kaly, and I'm lost and don't understand anything

haha, maybe kaly has better name recognition now.

is that really what it means? @kaly you are SO VAIN!

1 Like

Itā€™s a Greek name meaning beautiful

1 Like

If you made a board that looked that good what would u call itā€¦trampa should have called it kaly

Well im not alone with vesc failing with canbus connetionā€¦

1 Like

then maybe its the connection not correctly fixed. vibration? check it from time to time

The reason canbus would fail here is

If you power one and not the otherā€¦this is a known issue.

Likely vibrated loose

so if you set canbus to true in the vesc settings and power the vesc on without a connected canbus, you likely will fry your vesc?

i wasnā€™t exactly sure about what behavior not to do with can, so i did split ppmā€¦ just a little bit of lagg though that was the impression i got though

Only if the CanBuS wire is connectedā€¦

Canbus can be on and the CanBuS wire disconnected and only one esc powered on for example, bench setup I config both without the wire connectedā€¦ then later I wire them all together and power them up together.

But if canbus is on, and CanBus is connected, and you only power one esc. The CanBuS chip will likely pop.

2 Likes

strange behaviour, that doesnā€™t make sense to me, but okay good to know.

what if the canbus disconnects while riding?

Disconnect is fineā€¦ You just wonā€™t have your slaveā€¦

Itā€™s when one esc is off and leeching power via the cables.

I tape/glue my canbus cables inā€¦ Either way the issue with can chips is power leeching when all devices on the bus donā€™t have their own dedicated power source.

but still i donā€™t understand why this can fry your chipā€¦

Hot glue FTW! I put a drop on all my small cable connectionsā€¦sensor, PPM, bluetooth, etc. Itā€™s easy to pop off when you need to do maintenance but keeps cables in place very well.

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry I keep calling it a Kaly. I have two boards. One of them actually is a Kaly.nyc (right) The other one I guess is a custom Trampa made from Kaly parts (left), which is why I also keep calling it a ā€œKaly.nyc.ā€

The one on the right is the actual ā€œKaly.nycā€ The one on the left is this board:

Which I bought here on the forum.

It seems I need to remove the chips and run it split ppm? I already removed the canbus wire

1 Like

The signal wire, itself is a varying voltage to produce data.

Send varying voltage data over the CanBuS wire without the other can chip powered and the can chip will try to leach current to power the can chip. This is to much current for the source can chip to handle. Itā€™s not designed as a power rail, itā€™s an IC component. So poof

1 Like

Also it seems I should just remove all the glue and get everything out of the enclosure for now?

Is the real kaly running ok Iā€™m lost

Yes lol, it just feels shaky and unstable because I fell down yesterday on it for the first time ever

1 Like

Hi there man You should have give me a call :wink:

That wiring is not safe, please send the DIY one to me and Iā€™ll re-do all wiring ( imperative ) and Battery, canā€™t have you riding on THAT, is a bit sketchy.

12 Likes