If you ordered a FocBox from me, I have some news

Escape higher erpm limit as well as higher amp limit.

Like amps you mean?

If the price is similar then get a escape. Focbox is a smaller package and a great vesc. On your 4wd build it’s very unlikely the 4 focbox will be the limiting factor. Same as your dual motor build. Batteries will limit your board unless you’re running plenty of high discharge lipo.

I think you should pick either cause both are fine.

Well the batteries I’m going to be using I haven’t decided on yet, but I’m probably going with a 12s4p, maybe even a 5p or 6p, using Sanyo NCR20700C, or the Samsung 30T, or 40T. All of those have at least 30A, some are 35A. mAh is at least 3000 or more on them all too. So would the FOCBOX’s be able handle that much power say in a 12s6p pack? Since that’s the highest I may go I figure I should have everything that is spec’d for that…

what BMS are you planning on using?

Having a DieBieBMS being made atm.

I’ll also be using the 300A Sparky Switch from @Kug3lis.

Well like the 40T at 6p I’d be running with 210A just at its normal specs. If it was too go up a steep hill wouldn’t that shoot that way up?

Just because you have enough cells stacked to reach a theoretical 180 amps doesn’t mean you’ll ever see it. The DieBieMS is rated for 100amps, IIRC. Split four ways that’s about 25amps per unit, but its not going to evenly distribute that perfectly. But even if you had a 180 amp version made, you’d probably still never see that kind of current draw at 12S. Per wheel you might see spikes coming close to maybe half of that but the vast majority of the time the ESCs are going to split the load and drastically reduce the amount of power each one actually needs to draw, while ironically enough, drawing slightly more on average overall than a RWD. In my opinion, anyway.

@uigiroux I am sorry to tell but your understanding of currents on boards is bit off… I am running 2WD 10kW setup never saw anything even close to 5kW coming out of battery… I am running 20kg board (100kg with me) even the steepest hills never even went over 60A on single esc… There are no currents like that on boards if you ride normal roads and etc, I can’t imagine where you could even reach 100A per motor… Like pulling truck or something?

3 Likes

BTW my setups are all 60 amps, and the DieBiMS setups will be fused at 70 once i get more of them made and start using them in my builds.

Hey, sorry for derailing the thread even more.

What do you think the greatest benefit is of the DieBie that you’re gonna include it as part of your future builds?

I would even recommend first start with simple 2wd setup… After several hundreds of kilometers than your legs will be able to handle torque then you can start think about 4wd and high current setups, I am still strugling with starting even with throttle mapping and full weight on front leg.

1 Like

Is there anyway for the output power to be more evenly distributed? The power out tab on the spark switch is just one wire isn’t it? So from that one wire, if I split that into two (one for the front drives, and the other for the rear) and instead of splitting each of those additional wires again for each VESC I could have both negative wires from the VESC’s connected and set in an xt90 and the positives connected and connected to the other terminal in the xt90, that way there’s much less places in the wiring where things could get made uneven…?

60a motor limit + 60a bat limit vs 60a bat limit only:

1 Like

Are these real data or just calculated?

No worries, I’d prefer being told when I’m wrong, lol otherwise I’d keep making the same mistakes :smile:

1 Like

calculated…

you can start with the ground speed and wheel diameter to get the wheel rpm,

next use the wheel rpm times the gear reduction (wheel teeth / motor teeth = gear reduction) to get the motor rpm.

next use motor rpm / motor kv to get the back emf v,

then use ((pack v * duty %) - bemf v) / winding resistance = motor current

then 60 / (2 * pi * kv) for motor torque in newton meters per motor amp

then motor current times the torque per motor amp for motor torque

multiply the motor torque times the gear reduction for wheel torque

vehicle thrust comes from relationship between the wheel torque and wheel diameter-- (wheel torque in newton meters * 1000mm) / ((1/2) * wheel diameter in mm) = vehicle thrust in newtons per motor

then you can get the mechanical watts from motor torque in newton meters times motor angular velocity in rad/sec

electical wattage is (pack v * duty %) * motor current = electrical watts

battery current is electrical watts divided by pack voltage

you can calculate the ohmic heating from motor current * motor current * winding resistance = wattage copper loss & ohmic motor heating

wind drag force in newtons is (1÷2) * 1.225 kg/m^3 fluid density of air * estimated frontal area in m^2 * (velocity in meters per second * velocity in meters per second) * estimated drag coefficient = wind drag force in newtons

wind drag power/wattage is wind drag force in newtons * meters per second = wind drag power/wattage

ignored is iron loss, esc loss, battery loss, drivetrain loss, and rolling resistance.

I can tell you one thing is calculated and another then u apply 100A to motor on 8" pneumatic wheels and 20kg board lifts up like its nothing… I am running modified VESC firmware which limits current for low speed as throttle mapping didn’t helped. I am getting kicked off the deck all the time without it.

P.S. I am not using bindings so thats why mostly :smiley: (I mean wheels can lift me ±100kg total without even starting to move)

what’s the kv and gear reduction?

170kv 5:1 big ass tooth geared drivetrain not belts :wink:

looks like about 125lbs peak thrust and 34mph top speed…

2 Likes