[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Hi, I’m simon. building my first electric skateboard. got a couple of q’s about vesc so i thought I’d join the group to chat all things diy eskate. looks like i’ve found the right forum.

2 Likes

Hi Simon. How’s it going? You have any friends that ride scooters or onewheels regularly?

1 Like

I’ve got a mate that rides a Onewheel. I see heaps of other people getting around on them, just not from my social circle.

2 Likes

Just trying to keep the weirdos out is all.

4 Likes

Welcome Simon! Yeah, if you search deep enough you will find almost anything you need to know about how to build a e-skate. It would have been way harder for me without it!

2 Likes

Hi @Simog81

If I could be of assistance, it would be to choose your items in a certain order. Don’t choose anything else until you’ve chosen your deck and enclosure. Because you need to know if it will even fit. Enclosures are much more difficult than you think, and you need to know if flexibility will be something you design for, or not. So go in a certain order, along the whole way making sure you choose things that are compatible with each other.

1. helmet
  2. deck + enclosure (flex?)
  3. battery (flex?)
  4. ESC(s)
  5. drivetrain & trucks & motor mount
  6. wheels
  7. motors
  8. {everything else}
  9. remote
  10. aesthetics: grip, colors, lights

Leaving enclosures until last as an afterthought is a surefire way to end up in a less-than-ideal position.

5 Likes

Hi @b264, I’ve actually gone through all the drama of figuring out all the compatibility issues. I’ve got enough spares now to almost build a second board with all the bits I’ve got that i had to buy again because the original bits weren’t quite right for my build. I’m down to configuring my vesc and pairing my remote. I have downloaded the vesc tool, updated the firmware, done the motor wizard and now I’m trying to map my controller. whenever I try to map the controller it doesn’t seem to put out any reading on the rt meter to get numbers to apply. I push the wheel and the motors make some weird noises and struggle to turn. I get the message to turn on the rt app which i think I’m doing, but still don’t get any better response.

I have got the flipsky 6.6 plus, with the flipsky vx2 pro remote running an Mboards kit with 6374 motors on a 12s4p.

I’m stuck unsure what part of the process I’m missing/doing wrong.

any ideas?

1 Like

Turn on the RT App button on the right side. Post screenshots.

1 Like

2 Likes

Do I need to power off and back on between any of the steps? I ran through it a couple more times and tried turning on my remote before motor detection. ?:man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::confounded::pleading_face:

1 Like
4 Likes

Actually just today boosted board mini was up for sale on offer up, not the type I want but I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Now that’s an activity I can get onboard with big time.

3 Likes

Hi Guys,.

I’m Mark a Dutchie, riding Exway X1 and Wave on a daily base. Now I want to start planning to build a E-Mountainboard for this summer for full offroad.

Thinking to go with a

• Mbs comp 95
  • flipsky ESC
  • 12s lipo. batteries
  • belt or chain drive.

Or a Trampa board and drive, since I’m EU. Can’t really choose. I’d like to make it upgradable over time.

I do also have questions:

• Why do most people have the ESC separate on the back of the board. I can think off wire management, or heat management?
  • does anyone knows shops in EU where I can get stuff. It’s tricky to Google using limited languages.

Tips are most welcome, I want to start with a powerful enough modular setup. So if it’s all fun enough, I can easily upgrade parts.

Kind regards, and ride on! Mark

2 Likes

Whatupppp pepz

3 Likes

You do not need to set any remote config. The PPM remote approach in your video is not for your remote. (Because I see km/h coming through at the detection, this must be UART) You need to find app configuration within the vesc tool and just change your control mode to UART (and not even UART and PPM)

And that remote doesn’t need calibration, unless on the remote-menu side

I’m not 100% on this, but based on the video i think this will help you figure it out

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, I did a set up last night and finally figured it out. Instead of ppm set up i did nrf. Seems to have worked.

2 Likes

Sorry I was late, problems solved is always a good answer

2 Likes

It’s really great seeing everyone’s involvement in this forum. I Really love this community. Thanks for being part of it.

2 Likes

This should be the guys first 50+ liked post, and not because of me, cause of the regulars

edit: my last semi-derailment of the thread, introductions only

3 Likes