[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

Without sensors they are.

3 Likes

I think you have to coat the stator and regularly service bearings as well as rinse the motor off after using in salt water .

5 Likes

Coating the stator isn’t required but it can help. The bearings are the huge problem. They will wear out in water, and they will probably wear out ten (or more) times as fast in salty water.

3 Likes

this is why the motor gets a bath in corrosionX right after so I heard, from the people who used 80100 motors in salt water.

I feel like the solution for us could maybe be putting the motor inside the board and somehow transfering the torque down the mast. Then you can have the motor be dry most of the time and use the appropriate bearings for on the mast that will be in the water. This could also let use use say, two 6374 motors and vesc6 instead of one 65120 motor and 75/300.

2 Likes

Obviously :joy::joy::joy: haha I’m just saying they will run fine… in water, without sensors… til they don’t.

2 Likes

I agree that water shouldn’t affect the electrical operation much or at all. (Except for the sensors…) The winding resistance is far lower than even that of brine. I’d imagine it would work just fine and I’ve personally operated them briefly underwater.

3 Likes

I tested in a flash flood the other week… that was a hoot. Highly recommend the adventure if your machine is capable of doing it safely… motors may work in water… batteries and go brains are a different story.

5 Likes

Anyone here tried an electric unicycle? These things look like either loads of fun or serious personal injury. After more than 10 years in the Rc aircraft hobby, I’m just not sure if I’d trust my body to a MEMS gyro or even several of them. Sometimes gyros spaz out and fail. Its rare but it does happen.

1 Like

Seen those. Most people fall because they ignore the beep it makes when you’re moving forward or moving backwards at an angle beyond its setting. The gyroscope is to balance it out. Usually they’re modded by others and that can cause gyro issues.

Its crazy how many get hurt not knowing what they’re dealing with.

1 Like

Hey, they’re talking about us! Or at least they’re talking about our boards.

I think I saw one Q Foster in the live chat section too. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah I was seeing when we could get Jehu to talk to Elon.

1 Like

My bad. My mouth says shit and …just im sry. No hard feelingd,ya? P.s. i live in a teenytown called morrilton… the roads are janky as f*** and evertone is LITTERLY related. Outsider here. Skateing made the loneliness go away. Who needs mean chicks when i can haulasss exploring, and wear narley scars? WB if you wanna…im having a monumental wire prob. Thx again, lateer…

1 Like

Salut Batou, comme tu es français cela sera peut-être plus simple pour échanger :slight_smile:

Je souhaiterai également me lancer dans l’aventure et comme tu as un peu d’avance sur moi, je voulais savoir comment ça se passe pour ton projet

Au plaisir d’avoir de tes nouvelles, je pourrais m’inspirer de ton projet pour faire le mien :slight_smile: avec un peu de chance !

1 Like

Salut Chucky ! Bienvenue sur le forum ESK8. J’espère que cela se passera bien car j’utilise Google Translate. Je ne parle pas français.

Hi Chucky! Welcome to the ESK8 forum. I hope this comes out ok as I’m using google translate. I dont speak French. :smiley:

Ahhh… its the plugs… i had to just ride my shit like it wasnt 20 lbs and then the male prongs kinda got filed away… by the concrete… i just REALLY gotta get new trucks and motors… ya know? Ha… bet you…

1 Like

Like swagatron? Ive watched three of thdm be BEAST once the senors take affect… then just give up when just barely sprinkled on… those were REALLY sensive skateboards tho…lol. and cheap!

1 Like

So now I’ve built a couple of hub motor boards using Chinese componentry from Ali and eBay etc… They are fun as far as they go and not too much for the girls (11 and 7). but now I want to try my hand at a rear mounted, dual motor belt build. nothing too deadly, just a couple of 6355 class cans. But I don’t think I can use the Chinese ESC boards as I suspect they are not rated for the kind of current. so I think I will be having to venture into VESC territory, which I have only read about but not used.

Something like this bloke:

I have been using 10s lipos using R/C balance chargers. I aware of the risks of lipo, and am comfortable with being able to egress a burning skateboard if that time comes.

Anyway, hopefully I will be able to read and understand enough that I won’t have to bother the forum with questions… but don’t count on it :wink:

-Peter

2 Likes

@Boardnamics is awesome for converting a pair of Caliber 2 baseplates into an amazing electric drivetrain. Two 6355 motors fit great on a 170mm or 184mm hanger.

3 Likes

LOL, what a coincidence… Because I already reached out to Kevin @boardnamics. He was communicative and helpful with advice and had everything in stock. So I pulled the trigger the day before yesterday. Just waiting for a tracking number and shipment as we speak.

-Peter

2 Likes

Welcome, @Maxxx17. Glad you could join us. Are you planning to convert your board to electric or have you already done that?

1 Like