Just fell down, wear helmets guys!

I was on my way back to work from lunch on my Sidekick when somebody threw dirty water with detergent on the pavement, right over some painted slow down sign, it was slippery as soap. My rear drive slipped freacking fast and i fell down on my left arm and my head hit the pavement as a whip, it would have been a deadly fall if I wasn’t using my TSG evolution helmet and even though I felt dizzy for 10 seconds.

I’m pretty sure I’d be in ER by now or even dead, so this is just a friendly reminder for all of you to wear helmets, I´m so gratefull to be wearing mine during the fall.

The saver! :pray:

33 Likes

Dang, looks a bit painful but overall not too bad. Glad you’re alright, heal up quick!

2 Likes

Scary stuff. Glad you are ok. Were you riding Pnuemetics or urethanes?

And another reminder: Do not use helmets you had a crash with again!

2 Likes

I was runing Caguamas, those are pretty slippery on wet roads

When your rear wheels loose traction the hit goes directly to your rear scull like a whip, you don’t understand how much I’m loving my helmet right now.

6 Likes

I was naively planning on waterproofing my board until I returned home one day just as rain was starting to fall, and my caguamas slid away from me as if on ice. I was going very slow because I thought that might happen, but it still caught me by surprise! Glad you are alright!

1 Like

This is some awesome advice right here. I second this.

4 Likes

Thanks @Deckoz I’ll buy the the GForms right away.

I was just riding at cruise speed, really low maybe 20km/hr but a lady threw water with detergent over the pavement, here in Lims, in some places, street food carts just throw the water over the pavement after washing their dishes, this might not have happened with Bergmeister wheels but my Century had no spare belts at the moment

3 Likes

Yeah I also had an incident with slippy roads anyhow (foot braking) + (knowledge of how rear wheel slides work) saved my ass.

1 Like

how do rear wheel slides work? :smiley:

Watched any online snow driving fail videos? had a nice RC car when you were a kiddie?

Ever do DH longboarding?

If your rear wheels go ----> then use the top control to turn -----> this will hopefully balance out the drift but expect your rear to fly back the other way because you over compensated.

I was driving on the left side of the road and my rear wheels locked up and went this way ----> onto traffic so I leaned this way a little —> and then my rear wheels went back this way <---- so I started turning into the side walk and my foot brake foot did what it had to.

3 Likes

Maybe if you’re spiderman blitzy but falls like this take a split second.

6 Likes

Thanks for the bong water man it helped.

I was slow (unlike you) and like it was near the end of my braking when that occurred.

I feel like the board was saved from flying off the road not me. (and I already got one board squashed on that road :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) PS please make some sort satire out of that, I’d love to hear it.

1 Like

originally i saw this thanks to @b264 (thanks)

its not often you see a skateboarding crash up-close where the helmet did its job. this video is eye opening for those that don’t wear one now

EDIT: its not graphic or disturbing, dont worry

6 Likes

My fall was silimar than that, the violence of the impact of the helmet to the ground was massive.

The rear slid and I was hiutting the floor in less than 0.5s, impossible to control

5 Likes

Glad your OK brotha! I was just thinking about hooking up for a ride this weekend, but remembered tomorrow is my 1yr anniversary from broken knee accident, figured it’d be best to stay off it this weekend… for the wife sake :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

If you might ride thinking about your fall anniversary you might want to skip the day

4 Likes

Mate when you come off its usually a bolt out of the blue. Steering into a slide is something most drivers know about but it has no relevance on a skateboard unless its a controlled slide. This was not that. Unless you have the reactions of a cat then you’re going down.

Pretty sure Alan knows how to drift a car too.

3 Likes

it doesn’t matter how good your reflexes are. a fall at 25mph is almost impossible to prep for. wear a helmet and gloves at a minimum. its saved me several times

Skating is inherently dangerous, eskating ever more so. be safe guys

1 Like

This is inspiring man, I going to light up a candle :candle:

4 Likes