KEDA 6364 190kV Teardown (from Hobbyking)

So I’ve ordered a couple of these motors from Hobbyking for my first DIY build and thought I would open one up to have a look inside. Build quality doesn’t appear too bad to be honest. There’s loads of room inside the casing so I will be installing hall sensors and some longer flexible wires. Stator is 30mm in length, 52mm OD. NDE stator bearing feels a bit notchy so will change the bearings for SKF. I can’t separate the stator from DE casing so will need to stick it in the press sometime this week.image image image image image image image

4 Likes

Interesting that there’s no space between the magnets :thinking:, i guess I assumed that was a requirement… hch bearings are amazing for the price, i have them in all my motors as replacements

Also, how you plan to strip the phase leads?

1 Like

Cool, I will take a look at those bearings.

I need to press the front casing out of the stator first so I can get to them and then slice the cable sheath and peel it off.

Great thread. I have a pair of these and have ordered a couple of sensor boards…what great timing

Please keep sharing the excellent pics and details. I don’t think I’m brave enough to try anything but an aspirin to strip the enamel

2 Likes

Those phase leads are likely laminated wire, is what I meant. You probably know that already though lol. Major pain in the ass to strip

3 Likes

Lye’r!

10 chars

2 Likes

Lol, it’s like you’ve known me my whole life

1 Like

I changed the wires to silicone ones and to remove the coating, I just heated them with 100w soldering iron

4 Likes

Will do. What sensor boards have you ordered?

I’ll be trying the heat and Stanley blade trick first. If that fails (or I loose my patience with them) we’ve got a motor rewind shop at work so they will be getting it as a priority job, ha!

1 Like

Did you press the stator off the casing or do it in situ?

I bought one of these about six months ago from hobbyking for $21. I use it on a board with a hobbywing 150amp 6s esc and a 6s4p battery pack, and I love it.

2 Likes

I didn’t open the motor, I just cut the leads as close to the can as possible and soldered silicone ones

1 Like

That’s pretty convenient @Shaun !! The problem with the burning off insulation is the thermal conductivity of the copper. As in, if it burns off the leads, it may burn off the windings too!! That’s what I was worried about when I resorted to the "do not attempt " method. Worked for you though @Grozniy ?

1 Like

Worked no problems

1 Like

these ones

Thanks. I did see them actually and it appears Alien are the only company that make this design. Which end of the motor did you fit it to and how did you mount it?

they are in the post still

you can make your own sensors under 3$ you don’t even need pcb I wired my own sensors yesterday, hall sensor test passed from first try. on bench, motor spins really nice and smooth from start. today, I will test it on street. here is wiring diagram: LARGE just wire them like shown here, but put them between stator poles, 120 degrees apart, just like on APS pcb.

you will need: -sensors- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-lot-SS441A-41A-member-Unipolar-Hall-Switch-Sensor-new-original-In-Stock/32925711838.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.58366591jph5uA -5 or 6 pin jst connector (depends which vesc you use) -some wires -soldering iron -hot glue

IMG_20190226_205802

6 Likes

Ideal, thanks for the info.