For now I want to post this just to get to the meat and potatoes that I am most proud of, the dual focbox heatsink stuff… but i’ll start from the beginning. This build is still in progress, awaiting focboxes, battery and controller.
Background Been longboarding and downhilling for years. You can read my post in the intro section if you care about my background. A few weeks ago I came across a few kids in the neighborhood riding around boosted boards, meepos and e-gos. One of the kids let me ride his board, and I felt like a total creeper being much older than these kids, but the ride (although somewhat not super impressive) inspired me to follow through with building my own for the first time. This ride was the first time I have ever been on a motorized board of any kind, and ever since I started boarding 20+ years ago it’s been something I have dreamed of. So!! Onward…
Research and Newbie Expectations I originally posted to reddit looking to spend about $350 for a kit to mount to one of my existing downhill boards to help me go 50+mph on flat ground, since I don’t have many hills around my home to satisfy my downhill urges. I soon found out that was way out of line, found this awesome forum, started coming up with more realistic expectations, spending time learning about ESCs, VESCs, settings to use, voltages, power draw, etc. I watched a ton of youtube videos and build logs here, educated myself on erpm limits, vesc failures, more etc. At this point after a few days of solid reading and hours each day of research, I started parting my build out:
Parts I ordered the parts before going on vacation for a week. Crazy how many different places to order from.
- Psychotiller X2 Cohron Dual Enclosure
- Torqueboards 218mm Trucks
- Chibattery 10s4p 25r
- Bunch of nuts and bolts, t-nuts, CAN cable, XT60-XT90 and vice versa connectors and adapters, bullet connectors 3.5mm and 5.5mm, neoprene foam padding and stripping
- Torqueboards Motor Mounts
- Varying length belts, 15mm
- Nano-X controller
- BT module
- Torqueboards 6374 190kV motors
- Pulleys - 20t and 15t - 32 and 36t
- probably some other things I forgot…
Had on hand:
- Longboard Larry Stingray… won at a race in 2006, been my favorite board ever since
- Old 81a 90mm Flywheels
- Zealous Bearings
- Lots of bushings and other nic-nacs like riser pads, flat washers, etc that I have had forever and love
- Have a lot more random longboard crap on hand that I won’t care to list out because it has no relevance to this build
After placing my orders I went to visit my family for a week. Returned home and some of the parts have arrived! I have spent the past few days piecing things together as parts continue to arrive:
I originally wanted to build on my Rayne Killswitch, drop through, etc. Stuff didn’t exactly fit easily and I had some ideas for adding a radiator to my enclosure and figured it would be too low drop through with the rads, and I have a better top mount board that I love much more than this guy. but parts!!
So I got to working, gutting up my LBL Stingray, trusty old board to fit the parts I got in my living room.
Got everything at this point mounted up and test placing the enclosures. I love the wide stance of these trucks! and the motors fit PERFECT with 15mm wide belt pulleys.
Various belts, pulleys, etc came in from unikboards and johnny_261 (partially…), and later that night I got everything tightened down and one by one all nuts and bolts loctited with blue loctite:
So since the beginning doing my research, I knew I didn’t want my focboxes closed up tight. I had an idea to use my 3D printer to facilitate an air-channel for heatsinks integrated into the enclosure. Originally I wanted to mount the focboxes to the deck but decided against it for the sake of space in the enclosure and increased airflow. I spent hours on digikey and mouser looking for just the right sized heatsink and found this guy that two of them can fit into the enclosure comfortably. They are sized just right for the focboxes, and are longer for more heat dissipation. I plan on mounting the focboxes to these guys with simple thermal paste and using foam padding to keep them snug in place on the sinks:
I was trying to think of the best way to do mount these and the focboxes inside the enclosure, and came up with this for the sake of vibration dampening, focboxes not mounted directly to the deck:
I got to printing! And everything lines up just right with my cutout plot:
Sinks have arrived, and I turned my kitchen (for lack of a good workshop) into a cutting and fitting factory. Check out the mess:
Sinks fit good with a little fin bending for the outer angled fins:
Finally, it’s all mounted up and here’s a few more glamor shots:
At this point, the focboxes and controller have shipped, but I have not got them yet to start cutting holes for the motor and sensor wires yet, and I am still waiting on bolts, t-nuts, and foam padding from amazon to arrive to start getting the enclosures mounted:
Well, that’s where I am at for now… i’ll update this thread as things progress. Hope you guys enjoyed so far.