LED strips connected to the board

Hi i got some new LED strips i wanted to connect to my elongboard. I tryed to connect them to my rc reciver (the reciver for my controller). It works fine and i can turn the lights on and off using a switch on the remote. The problem is that the LED lights dont get enough power so they light up pretty badly. Any ideas how i can do this? want to be able to turn the lights on and off with the remote.

extra question: I have a SP110E LED Hue bluetooth controller for the light. Any good Apps i can use to get half the leds white and the other half red?

Just one quick search will reveal that there are a bunch of options on here…
For example:

2 Likes

Do a search for buck converter and step-down converter and you will see a lot of examples.

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=buck%20converter

3 Likes

A buck converter steps down voltage dosent it?

1 Like

Yes it does.

How would that help me when i need more?

1 Like

Whatcha mean?

when i connect the led strips to the rc reciver the light gets under 5v. The LED strips barely lights up

Because your lights are using a lot of current, the receiver (actually the ESC powering the receiver) isn’t powerful enough to maintain the 5 volts you need. Using a step-down converter directly from your battery will make sure your lights have enough power without dropping below 5V :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any way to use my remote controller ch2 as on/off switch when i use a step-down converter directly connected to the battery?

Yes, a transistor and a resistor so that the receiver toggles power in the step down converter circuit. Others have probably done it on this forum before with a better explanation, but here’s what I did for my brother’s board:

photo_2019-05-01_00-11-06

Left side would be the output of your step down converter, and right side is channel 2 of your receiver :slight_smile:

For me the lights still faintly glow even when the remote isn’t turning the transistor on, so I guess I picked a bad transistor :confused:

1 Like

You can use an RC switch like this one to switch the power from the step-down converter to your LEDs

2 Likes

This is my solution: 1556667494031620650291558346257

I just temp wired it last night…

I am using Arduino nano powered off receiver. 40T provides power to LEDs. Channel 2 (steering) provides data input to arduino. Arduino provides data out to switch on LEDs and change colors/patterns based on channel 2 pot position.

Battery tube can swap 21700 or 18650 as necessary. One 40T should power the 64 nodes for minimum 3 hours.

Battery tubes can be assembled multiples in series to series more batteries. The DC barrel jack head can be swapped for an LED headlight, high power connector…etc, it’s modular…

2 Likes

I may have gone overboard on LEDs planning out for…144 addressable LEDs running off the main battery and another 6x T6 LEDs on a light bar. A car high beam is about 1200 lumens, this is about 6000 lumens total

1 Like

I use these buck boards puts out 4 amps, Run my 5 volt headlights, WS2815 strips driven by my nano firefly variant receiver ESP32-lora (Droid), and brake lights and I also breakout a waterproof USB to the side of my enclosure to use to charge my phone, transmitter, tablet.

They even work with my 13S Board

4 Likes

How does the waterproofing USB work? Do you need to silicone it in or does it provide some sort of sealing gland or otherwise?

then you use a 12" male to male usb to connect to the buck converter I also use a micro usb version and a 4 way toggle switch (master/Slave) and 2 x 90 degree male microusb plugs for programming my duel vesc without opening my enclosure

1 Like

I used a step down converter and just a switch. Would be cooler if I could turn on/off the led with my remote like you.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help :smiley:

Anyone know how i can change set the led lights color? want half the leds white and the other half red. The app i use now only allow me to set a solid color and it has a few presets, blinking in different colors. But nothing like i want it

The App i use now:

Always keep in mind that there will be heat created by any step down converter. I used this ubec in combination with my 10s4p battery pack to power 60 WS2812B leds. It acts as a step down converter but at the same time provides a clean 5V source. I use a chinese led strip where the max power consumption is 0.5 A at 5 V for 60 leds (all leds white) and the ubec warmed up to 40 °C. On avarage it’s something between 0.3-0.4 A

1 Like