Li-Ion Battery Charging

They can configure the voltages when you order them. I was asked what values I need and they baked it in the bms. But yes, at the end of the day it’s a very simple and rather dumb device (that we still need!).

@SimosMCmuffin I had my eyes on these fancy bms versions for a while. I just wish they became available to buy like any other product, click click, 3 days later it’s delivered. I’m sure there would be a market for them here, but they need to be tested and ready to ship to whoever needs one.

1 Like

That’s insane. What do you do for work? :sweat_smile:

Aerospace engineer for a small company. We make air launched uavs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

While its not quite as good as the Flexi will be this was my compromise. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12S-100A-smart-board-lipo-lithium-Polymer-BMS-PCM-PCB-battery-protection-board-for-18650-Li/32848466970.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dJEfxWa

It lets you monitor per cell voltages from your phone and change settings (tho i’ve heard mixed review of this lol) and it does give you way more customization then any other similarly priced BMS i’ve found so far.

The only downsides I’ve found so far are they are fairly chunky especially anything over 80A and the balance current is lower than i’d like (55+/-5 mA).

There’s a lot of features that aren’t even talked about like traces for a switch and a status indicator LED are on the board and not mentioned anywhere (switch needs to be enabled through the software.

Honestly I’m surprised more people aren’t using these, and while I haven’t put mine through enough use to give you a full recommendation it was the only thing that I thought was worthwhile getting in the BMS department.

I did consider a 123SmartBms as well but they’re way to fucking expensive. But they definitely have way more features but its a little more applicable to larger storage applications.

1 Like

can someone confirm if the balancers on a cheap bms work independently or does the whole charge stop until all cells are under some setting? I imagine there’s a million different version but how about these specifically. the red circle in the pic. I bought a couple i haven’t messed with but understood that they all worked independently so theres no stopped charge on the pack or the individual cell and it just bleeds the cell that’s too high at some crappy rate, and that’s all it does.bms balancer

Epic! :rocket:

Yes, they are using independent balancer ic’s you can get those balancers independent from bms

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=400103&initiative_id=AS_20180527042940&SearchText=li-ion+balancer+board

EDIT: this is probable IC in that specific BMS https://www.ablicinc.com/en/doc/datasheet/battery_protection/S8211C_E.pdf

2 Likes

Charging and not looking at it is not good I plug my board to charge just and It catch fire luckily for me the fire alarm went off i manage to put out the fire before the fire bridge reach but now in pain I got burn on my fingers image image image image

1 Like

I’m making a 12s5p using p26a’s. I’m using a bypassed bms. I’m putting a xt90s for the esc connection. My question is do I need an additional xt90s for the connection between bms and charger?