Life Span of Urethane Wheels

lol u know what I meant, but ok

Superglue is cyanoacrylate it doesn’t really come in different blends, just different labels/bottles/tubes…

Ethyl_cyanoacrylate

3 Likes

Just in case you don’t know about it already, I thought I’d mention Locktite 480! It’s a rubberized cyanoacrylate AND it’s black :sunglasses:. Pretty damn strong stuff, I used it to fix a TB Motor with loose magnets for @ih8Darian . I’m gonna try it on the wheels for sure!!

Btw, you service bearings weekly?? F*ck that shit, lol

4 Likes

Don’t. The point is regular superglue is thin, it makes bulges on the wheels, and about 200ft of rolling wears the excess off so that all that remains is the stuff filling the gaps

Yeah, I just roll them until they sound like they’re about to seize and replace them with Redz or something cheap. Otherwise I’d be spending two hours per day doing bearing maintenance. Okay, exaggerating but only slightly

2 Likes

How often do you get to that point? On my drive wheels I have the bones RACE reds ($25 a set but worth it for sure) and I haven’t changed them for 6+ months. Maybe they’re sealed better with the extended race :thinking: Up front on my SF Truck Im running Abec3 EMQ bearings with contact rubber seals and they’re silent after a few months of service too.

That being said, I don’t commute, but I’m oceanfront with sandy salty roads

After 50-70 km and I’ve seen at least 20 of them chipping really quick. Tbh I’ve never seen one that didn’t chip. My 97 mm flywheels started chipping after ~1000 km but they are still fine after ~2500 km.

Superfly chunk easily during the break in process when the mold edge is still on them. They take about 75 miles to break in… That is their most venerable point is new…

A tiny bit more? How much did you get them for including shipping?

Superglue? I wouldn’t have expected that to work.

Its really that simple?

1 Like

During the summer my bearings seem to be fine the whole season – but as soon as I run in snow and brine I start eating skate bearings for breakfast, so the cheaper, the better

I think my wheels speak for themselves… :slight_smile: it really is that simple… You don’t have to do it weekly… I just ride 250-300 miles a week so it’s something I pay attention to and do in that 250-300 mile cadence.

It works well because the excess wears off quick, but the thin bonding in the cracks keeps the urethane bound so the wear Patten is correct. So you don’t end up with an out of round wheel/non balanced wheel like with other solutions like epoxy. And as the surface wears, new cracks will form. Previous cracks will wear away and not continue splitting inward, and be fresh urethane underneath… Ongoing cycling of new cracks, glued cracks, worn away cracks for the life of the wheel.

Edit: this has been glued since the first 75 miles, with superglue it’s still here thousands of miles later

15336796132677865056246646591924 15336796976845221105995011022561

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to find something to repair wheels and have kinda been on a passive lookout for a good candidate, but… for some reason I never thought to try the stuff I had.

I use superglue for everything, I keep Superglue, JBweld and Duct tape in my glove box.

I would have thought it would shear along the crack, or it just wouldn’t bond properly.

2 Likes

I added a picture above :slight_smile:

Also here is a freshie…y’all got me looking at my wheels so here is to show I just slap it on and wait for it to dry

Couple rolls up and down my street later… 15336808861484332482575906182789

Yeah some need refilled a second time. But alot of them, you will see a super white cut or pit that was filled in the middle of the glue mark. All the excess wears off quickly leaving just the solid white filling.

5 Likes

It was like $45 shipped for a set of four.

I somehow cant believe that you are getting them that cheap delivered to your door, being that I buy 500 at a time…But hey! what do I know? I’m just a guy tht has them in stock and could have shipped you a set in like 3 days…

5 Likes

Yep :sunglasses::sunglasses: that’s … That is why I say, should have ordered from you instead of waiting a month… Just saying… :yum:

1 Like

Awesome @Deckoz, thanks for saving my 107s with these tips. Luckily I still don’t have any major chunk, so now with this proper care they should look good for a long time.

1 Like

Where can you buy them?

Dito. I was on the fence after hearing about all the chunking issues but after your tip I ordered me some black 107s.

Thanks @Deckoz

1 Like