Loaded Vanguard / Tesseract / Jet Spud: Vacuum Bagging Boards & Enclosures with Carbon

@longhairedboy sank in cables on top of the board - until then I only did that roadside which is a lot more complicated and also not optimal cause thats the vulnerable stretch load side of a board!

for the rest, check a few posts above: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/loaded-vanguard-tesseract-jet-spud-vacuum-bagging-boards-enclosures-with-carbon/4218/12?u=whitepony

costs are moderate/low if you already have a vacuum pump. carbon twill is 20-30€ in total, resin a lot less, foam costs nothing and the few required films are cheap too!

2 Likes

This is the reason why the forum needs to be open, inclusive and not focussed on any one vendor…

Great work @whitepony - I reckon there are many people around the world digging out their sanding machines now…

1 Like

Ok thanks may I ask how much it cost for you to have longhaired boy to sink in cables?

Also which loaded deck do you recommend because there are a couple Vanguards on my local craiglist ranging from the flex 2, 3, 4, and 5. I am 6’2" and weigh about 150lbs thanks :slight_smile: I also previously owned the boosted and loved it so maybe something similar.

Hey @whitepony, awwwesome build !! Looks gorgeous …

I did a similar battery enclosure for 2lipo batteries+ VESC (a lot thicker and uglier) with carbon/kevlar, but when I cutted the edges I couldn’t manage to have a clean edge, without some fiber residue !

So I was really wondering how did you manage to end up with such clean edges ?!

Also, when sanding did you sand until there was almost no (shiny) epoxy left on top of the last carbon layer ?

ah, nono, thats a misunderstanding. it was longhairedboy who first sank in wires on a boards topside - on my boards I did that myself with a handheld router!

my weight is 180lbs and Im using the vanguard flex2. that one probably also works well for you … big fan of the 42" vanguards. flex3+ are shorter boards but if you liked your boosted: boosted are using vanguard flex 3.

hm, I dont know, did you also use a vacuum? think without a vacuum, the fiber/epoxy matrix is a lot less dense & perfect, air bubbles and excess resin in there which weakens the structure and probably makes ugly things while sanding.

I just sanded my edges, did nothing special. initial 120grit, then 280 wet, then 600 wet.

I never had shiny epoxy on my carbon, because all excess resin is soaked off with the breather layer. when I sand boards & enclosures, its mostly just to get rid of the few breather layer pimples that remain. if I dont have to shape anything like for example an enclosure, I just use 280grit wet then 600grit wet by hand.

thats how a board looks directly after peeling off the bleeder film:

and thats after my very minimal wet hand sanding - basically just the white pimples gone:

2 Likes

Thanks man for all the advice I just dont think this is realistically possible for me to do I really love the results and looks its just I dont even know how to do at least half of the stuff you did on making the board. From rotaring the channels for the cables, making your own battery pack, making a carbon fiber enclosure.

If you ever dont want that board or decide on selling it or making another one and are gonna be selling it I would be interested. Well cheers mate on your beautiful board.

Thanks for your answer man!

No I didn’t use vacuum bags, just found a way with plastic food film (which is not reacting with epoxy) to try to put some kind of uniform pressure but without breather so no pumping of excess resin. Looks so clean just after removing the vacuum stuff !

Another problem maybe related to not doing it in vacuum is that there was some fiber that was still not soaked with resin even though I put some inbetween all layers, and that’s why I wasn’t able to cut straight to the composite (there is some soft fiber at the edges, and those are impossible to sand)

I would advice other people to directly start with vacuum bagging even though it requires more material, my finish is no way near whitepony’s !

Any problems running the wires along the top of the vanguard with the vesc?

@whitepony I am just now seeing this thread. And I gotta say… wow! These are some of the best looking decks/enclosures I’ve seen

1 Like

would you talk a little more in detail about the process of wrapping the carbon fiber? Id love to do this but Im not sure about what kind of layers to use, how to get it to be so perfect in the recesses of the board, etc.