Looking a reliable motor. Experiences welcome

I have no experience with trampa motors or the majority of their stuff because of the cost involved, and general business practices involving VESC project. Im sure they have quality motors, just not a fanboy

@dareno @neiru37

Glad yours are working out for you, but by design the motors are flawed. Relying on 3 soft, thin screws to hold the motor together is itself a design flaw. That combined with the fact that most other motors in its size class are more powerful is why I think about them the way I do. Full braking force and hard acceleration donā€™t hold a candle to my TB 6355ā€™s. Dual 6354 SK8ā€™s donā€™t even fit regular caliber IIā€™s

Put this here.

Apart from reliability differences there are also big differences regarding performance.

1 Like

There is a difference to being a happy customer and a fanboy and FWIW I am not a fan of their motors either.

2 Likes

Do you own an sk8 motor?

Used to, not anymore

no worries i was just interested in the feedback. Such a forthright condemnation must have had a back story. Motors are such a debatable topic because so many fail. I think @hyperIon1 hit the nail on the head with the fact that we are effectively re purposing motors from other disciplines and as such the factories are fighting to cope with the wear and tear we subject these things to. I actually ran a thread like this last year before my evo build and it was just the same. So many opinions and very few success stories. Eventually went for sk3ā€™s because of general consensus and couldnā€™t be happier with them be honest. The over riding opinion was sk3 for unsensored and maytech for sensored. Still seems to hold true and my own experience with numerous other manufacturers only backs this up. I have dark matter esque motors in a draw, I have tb motors in a draw. I have racerstar motors in a draw. All with loose magnet issues. This debate will go on.

1 Like

Yes a reliable motor please #metoo

I also have/had troubles with almost all motors so far (APS, SK8, Maytech). From the quality and feeling I would rate the closed Maytech highest but they were not really reliable at least for me.

But to compare the quality, here how the magnets are glued on APS motors (including orange fluid from motor bearings), didnā€™t find a better picture

Here the ā€œbattle-hardenedā€ Maytech can.

20180820_102935

After a hard battle :laughing: (no motor would survive that hard battle)

I would like to see Maytech improving the wire management which is IMO a big problem. There is only 1 loose shrink tube for all wires, thatā€™s it. If you remove it then it looks like this. There is zero protection against cable movement which leads to internal shorts.

APS motors have awful stiff plastic wires and are not the best quality but the cable managment is first class! Wire mesh and maybe shrink tube on the phase wires, there is no movement at all. It would be perfect with silicone wires.

8 Likes

Mine donā€™t have that at all. I was always wondering if you put that mesh by your own :sweat_smile: I epoxy the place where my phase wires come out of the motor to donā€™t give them any changes to move and rub off the isolation. You can also ask @Superflim about his APS motor he bought used. The phase wires broke in exactly this place.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t got the time to try and repair this motor lolā€¦ :joy:

Haha too funny :rofl:

I just looked on APS webpage and the product pictures of the same 6374 motor have different wires.

No wire mesh at all

aps_02

Wire mesh all the way :laughing:

aps_01

It seems like itā€™s lottery from factory. You have no mesh, I have a bit mesh, some have full mesh, weird.

2 Likes

Mesh guy is shit at his job I reckon

4 Likes

ho ā€¦ APS didnā€™t put improvement since 2014 ā€¦

:sweat_smile: ā€¦

then the 2016 version (HEV 3.3kW)

I never received any motor with mesh ā€¦

Nobody talks about FS motor ?! :no_mouth::sweat_smile:

1 Like

What about these bkb 6374 motor,anyone had any experience and any failureIMG_20190331_100755

2 Likes

Necroing this thread.

Can you send pics of where you epoxied your wires? Like, I understand where on the motorā€¦ I guess Iā€™m just asking for your technique, also which epoxy you used.

For anybody else reading this: Is there anything specific I should know that I wonā€™t be easily able to find via google for battle hardening some Sealed Maytech 6374 170KVā€™s?

hope that will help

Battle hardening 6374ā€™s is seriously extremely fucking hard if you donā€™t have an abundance of disposable syringes for the epoxy.

Like, Iā€™m in too deep to stop now, but itā€™s seriously a task.

Almost fucked up one cap piece, had to spend 90 minutes fixing.

1 Like

Weā€™ve upgraded our motors and have started battle hardening the motor cans for all of our motors. The new motors should be in-stock within the upcoming week.

5 Likes

Iā€™m torn on this. I bought a sk3 2 weeks ago but was super surprised by how many openings they have. Arenā€™t you scared that debris or small rocks fly inside it and destroy the magnets etc? Especially if you ride on through loose rocks or soft ground in the woods for example.

Iā€™m loving my bkb 6374. Itā€™s the turning sk3 with sensors. I bash them daily.