Meepo esc to FOCBOX | blank double kick drop down | 90 mm hubs | Sanyo 20700b 10s2p | NOW 12s2p sanyo with torque drives (used to be speed drives)

Carvon torque drives now. I love them but still only one ride day done.

1 Like

Nice upgrade! How is the ride comfort compared to the Meepo hubs? What is your top speed with the torque drives and 12S? Iā€™ve been also tempted by those, but 500$ for Koowheel hubs is a tad too steep for my wallet.

A lot better but it is a little hard to compare since Iā€™m riding them on 97mm vs the 90mm meepo.

Need to ride more to give a better verdict. Top speed was 55kph.

2 Likes

Initially I thought the same about modded koowheel hubs and the price which is why I went with the speed drives first but they are definitely worth it.

It does make me wonder how the koowheel hubs would compare to torque drives on 12s with focboxes.

If anyone would want hub motors that go fast, Iā€™d try koowheel 96mm hub motors paired with focboxes and a 12s battery. My guess is they would be pretty sweet and the only advantage with torque drives then would be free choice of wheels within limits of course.

1 Like

Yeh I read they have the problem with the heat dissipation and they get hot fast

How is the initial torque when accelerating and on hill climbs with the speed drives compared to the torque drives?

I am having serious problems with the speed drives. Check my other posts in the carvon threads.

Torque is not much with speed drives until you get going at speed but then they die of heat. Torque drives are heat safe and I still have to ride more to see if I can get them as torquey as the meepo hubs. The meepo hubs could throw me off. Iā€™m riding the torque drives with a lot lower amps because of my bad experience with heat and speed drives.

Settings now: 45 -45 25 -15

The torque drives can go up hill easily but Iā€™ll for sure test more soon to give a better opinion since I have only ridden them for one eskate event day.

2 Likes

Shouldnā€™t your battery max be set to around 16 since you have a 2p setup and 2 VESCs and this Sanyo cell can only do Max Continuous of 16 Amps?

Yeah but I donā€™t. The motors donā€™t pull 25 amps continuous which is why I set them higher.

I also have the Meepo hubs form diyeboard and indeed the torque is nice. Although I got used of the top speed so now I am going to try the 130Kv torqueboard hubs. I just got them 2 days ago and I am going to try them once I will back from holiday. I hope the torque is still ok with the 130Kv.I saw nice video and the speed should be plenty. If the 130Kv are too weak then I will try the 75Kv version and see if they have higher top speed of the Meepo ones. I am organizing a group buy so no problem in getting both of the version.

If Iā€™m right they wonā€™t take off as well as the 75kv from my understanding of kv with hub motors and direct drive hubs. If you are going 12s youā€™ll be happy to use them with the diyeboard hubs.

1 Like

Yeh I know but I do not have enough space for a 12s battery without making a new enclosure eccā€¦ I will try with a 10s and see it.

Went for a ride. Went uphill on the same slope as from my other youtube. They could not handle it from a full stop but from a bit speed they managed.

Difference is that meepo hubs only have the weight of the motor plus the thin pu layer around it. Torque drives have this plus an entire wheel of weight to move. For this sole reason the hubmotors kill it in torque compared to these direct drives.

I think the torque boards 65kv direct drives or perhaps 60kv will definitely compensate for this extra weight and then might be just as torquey as the meepo hubs. @torqueboards

2 Likes

Could you calculate the real Kv? With the ackmaniac app you can do it and my meepo hubs are actually 65Kv instead of 75Kv.

Ackmaniac android app?

Or you mean his vesc tool for 3.102 firmware right?

I havenā€™t gotten round to this yet. Iā€™m running vesc tool .94 now for 3.38 firmware.

I will however try acks later though.

I think for the Kv you only need the app. Not need the actual firmware on the VESC. The app you can find it in the Google Play store. Although you have a metr connected. Is it not possible to check the motor Kv? Anyhow I asked to othera and indeed the hubs are actually a bit less than 75Kv, as in most of the motors.

1 Like

I donā€™t have an android device. I forgot to mention that.

Yes I get that I donā€™t need the firmware, I just mentioned that to refer which vesc tool release.

1 Like

No problem at all. Thank you for the help

I just finished a DIY build using 10s2p Sanyo 20700b and I set my battery max to 20Amps for each of the 2 x Focbox. Iā€™m experiencing some heavy voltage drops when accelerating and drawing 40amps from the pack (https://metr.at/r/DOZ6l)

I see the a similar behavior on your graphs as well, you seem to have set 25A for each Focbox. Iā€™m considering lowering it to 16 Amps but wanted to ask you how is your aggressive setting going after a month.

Thanks.

Nice 12s even better but if I would do it again I would go at least 3p due to sag.

The sag seems to be pretty normal for 2p setups. I have been riding them very hard and they are fairing well. Time will tell though. Latest ride a lot more confident to ride faster and range is decreasing a lot due to this.

Normal riding 25km range:

Agressive fast riding 17km range:

2 Likes