My first E-Skateboard (Lowrider)

Hey @RyuX awesome build! Do you have your motor set up on the front?

1 Like

Yes Indeedā€¦ mine is on the front right. like to have it in sight :smiley:

Hey man, yeah just finishing my first build waiting for parts, mines a low rider drop through but i cheated and used a prebuilt carbon deck with an integral enclosure, full marks for the enclosure effort! I was just going to say that as a heavier guy i always chuck my prebuilt in reverse and go up front wheel drive, it seems to pull better than push. How much fun is this stuff? Iā€™m too posh to push lol

I actually never tried a rear wheel driveā€¦ but maybe will try somedayā€¦ Also The Motor will get less dirty when its in the front and better air circulation.

Well the 6384S is a beast. I can go up any hill - only limitation on extreme hills is that my VESC will get hot because of the closed enclosure (but I rather have it closed to protect it from water and dust). I have heatsinks on my VESC but still when the motor is pulling 50A+ it will get hot quite fast (but those are really mountain village hills then).

So great fun

That is a big lump to be sure wow. Mines running the standard 6374 dual and iā€™m hoping it gets me up my hills as nothing prebuilt likes to. Maybe i just need to lose some weight. I shouldnt run into too many heat issues with dual motors and a 10s battery but i fully intend to chuck a 12s in there at some point so i will be hitting up all these lovely experts for some settings advice soon. anyway man good luck with the developing build and look out for my thread soon!

1 Like

Good luck for your built. Dual 6374 should make it easy - however I was always aiming at 12S just for the sake of lower KV Motor - high torque - less amp for the same power. Donā€™t forget your protection gearā€¦ got thrown off 2 timesā€¦ First time was a full brake at around 35km/h - still donā€™t know what happened thereā€¦ took some time to recover and second time was speed wobble because my VESC went into Motor Overheat Mode while accelerating - so the change from acceleration to idle made me have to jump off the board. However it was ā€œonlyā€ at 25 km/h so I was able to run it out. I ordered a padded hoodie now and always wear a helmet and gloves now. grafik Cheers

1 Like

Will add a voltage LED meter based on Arduino this weekend to properly show me the exact range that is left using my own data (I bought a finished meter once - but the range is displayed totally wrong).

1 Like

Just tried the cooling turbine - and man it cools so well!

Also made a short video of going uphills at half throttle on a really really steep mountainroad. If I hit full throttle the traction will be lost so half throttle is the way to go.

Will upload it later

1 Like

If you want even better precision of your printer, you should try at 0.2-0.25mm nozzle. :grinning: It will help alot in the X/Y directions. :grinning:

1 Like

Printed out a small RAM Intake for my VESC to cool the heatsinks. Also added a voltage meter and removed the LED Bar (it was not precise enough).

2 Likes

Cooling fan really needed? My old 6354 motors never heated up more than hand warm. I will have two APS 6384s in my next setup and just wondering whatā€™s going on here?

1 Like

Better Safe then sorry :slight_smile: If itā€™s needed or not - cooler motors are better than hot motors. I will always try to optimize my build and not compromise

But if the motor runs cool already then I see no point. Especially, if you use two side-by-side there is no room for two fans ā€¦

I would never consider my Motor as ā€œrunning coolā€ it does get hot - just not to the point of overheating. And I am not running two side by side - so there is room :slight_smile:

Looking good. Just saw the pics of your motor fan. I noticed that your 3d print have a few issues. You may need to address a few things before you use functional 3d printed parts.

This is what I think is going on:

youā€™re printer is over extruding. calibrate the e-steps of your extruder stepper motor. This will improve accuracy of your parts. If youā€™re still having problems try decreasing or increasing the extrusion width of the outer walls.

your print temperature seems too high. When your printing at a too low temperature your print layers will delaminate easily. Too high temperatures leads to poor print quality. Try to print a ā€œtemperature towerā€ to determine your materials ideal/optimal print temperature. This will also help improve the precision of you 3d parts.

A final thought - Iā€™d print that motor fan with Carbon PETG. Those fins might fail at higher RPMsā€¦just to be sure your safety is not compromised.

1 Like

heyā€¦ Thanks for the input However when I aim at stability I always like to overextrude with higher temp (better binding and more material).

I tested the fan at highest rpm and highest temps and it is holding up pretty good. Its a special kind of PLA and however I donā€™t like Carbon PETG anymore as it fucks up my nozzles.

Cheers

You need a wear resistant nozzle with a bigger diameter. Perhaps a 0.5mm or a 0.6mm nozzle. I use a 0.6mm from Micro Swiss. Worth investing in if you plan to print a lot.

1 Like

fair enough. Might give that a try at a later point

You might consider printing a plug for it and keeping it in your pocket or backpack in case you get in wet conditions.

1 Like