NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

yes, this is (almost) how i do it :wink: I use full tabs and route the awg through one hole and solder the copper flat to the middle part with lots of solder, works under hard conditions.

haha, nice. I thought about using the full tab as well in that way but Iā€™m trying to double the number of connections I can make :joy:

Just make sure that you donā€™t lose the full contact patch to the screw terminal

Just a quick note. Soldering is by far worst way to make connections. Signal wires, ~ok, but power connections best to be avoided. Solder has poor conductivity and is hard, so it might break. I have stopped soldering. Got couple cheap crimpers and use non insulated terminals everywhere. I dont say ā€œdont do itā€ only explaining the right way of doing it

Are you talking about for this application, or in general?

This is a very tricky subject youā€™re taking a hard stance onā€¦

1 Like

If you want to find something i usually do google search and not on site. Enter ā€œM5 ring tube lugs amazone.comā€ in google, then switch to image view and check the ones that look similar of what i have. Imperial should be 1/5" if there is such thing

I see a1parts have some, part DK1359D

A1 Electronic Parts

196 North Queen St. Toronto, Ontario M9C 4Y1 Tel: (416) 255-0343

In general which includes this application :wink:

Well, Iā€™ll have to say youā€™re wrong.

What you meant to say is, itā€™s probably a bad idea to use solder for power connections because itā€™s very hard to do well, but when done well itā€™s better than a cold weld crimp.

I did not meant that. If you look arround all wire terminals from oemā€™s are crimped and not soldered. Automotive, general electronics, etc. Again, solder is a bad conductor, it breakes, it can go loose if power flowing exeds safe operating limits and cable heats up. I am ok if you have another view on that but my science does not go with that.

3 Likes

I agree with all these points and I know that all high power applications use bolt on connections.

But for the conductivity argument, I am skeptical.

Yes, in vibration prone settings, such as in Automotive, a cold weld crimp is better.

However - solder IS better for power connections. Unless we have a different meaning of ā€˜betterā€™

Itā€™s really a situational thing. But in a vacuum where nothing is movingā€¦ solder is a better power conductor than a crimp.

Thereā€™s cold flow.

OK, vacuum is happening in space :slight_smile: I guess you would agree that scateboards would have far greater vibrations than vehicles on suspension? And my initial argument was valid? @mishrasubhransu, please do look at this: https://www.google.lt/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=22&ved=2ahUKEwjM0_DGibXiAhUhlYsKHWIfC6kQFjAVegQICBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.avoutlet.com%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2Fadditional%2Ff%2Fiacs_of_metals_n_solder.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2-5EpyP-XhRNWmL2iRpZVr Now answer if its better that coductor is touching connector wall and in between strands or it touches in places with a mix of solder? Maybe my logic is flawed but i have not come to that conclusion yet.

I think in EU soldered connections are not allowed. Thats why Prusa started doing crimped bed heater connections on their printers

If u get a good crimp connection itā€™s copper on copper with no air and not with low conductivity solder between. Lower elec resistance. And less likely to break or no cold flow. If u get a fancy crimper they will literally press the materials together making essentially one wire

3 Likes

Yeah - I have the 20 ton hydraulic china crimpers flooding amazon for like $30-40.

Using tinned copper lugs on 2/0 welding wire, it literally becomes a solid piece of copper, even when looking under a microscope. Pretty dope for how cheap the crimper is.

1 Like

wow did you really look with a microscope? I wouldnā€™t know what to look for. I remember finding a tool that was stated to crimp hard enough to fuse the metal and it was thousands of bucks. Maybe for 40$ yours does it. doesnt matter the canbus will fail first.

anyone use any other svelte connectors instead of the screw terminals?

People have been soldering cables to bullet connectors for a very long time in the RC world, I donā€™t see much difference in this situation. Maybe both methods are good enough?

1 Like

Best practice and method wad discussed. Both are good enough. This is my recent build and i have 2 soldered connections to charger connector

20190522_204100

20190510_144911

4 Likes

Anyone using Inventor or Solid works here?

2 Likes