New - gear drive design - advice welcome

inspired by @GrecoMan and @florr

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been half-heartedly ā€œgetting into Blenderā€ for about 8 yearsā€¦ T_T

I didnā€™t have the motivation until I realized my motors are waaay too long for my generic trucks =P

One thing to improve reliability is make the number of teeth non multiple of each other, this way all tooth from one gear mesh with all other tooth of the other gear. This way you spread out the wear since no two tooth are exactly equal

Another point, make the middle gear more robust, it doesnā€™t appear, but the loading is way higher, almost two fold, maybe make it metal

I donā€™t know if itā€™s a good idea to make all gear plastic since you donā€™t have a gear that keep the profile with wear, making the middle gear metalic solves this too

2 Likes

You use Blender for CAD?

Yes. So far, so good!

1 Like

Yup, module 2 seems to be more than strong enough with 3D printed plastic

1 Like

Use F360 / Inventor or any free CAD modeling software. Blender is just too complicated to get a thing done. I would never even think about using Blender for such a purpose.

1 Like

Sounds pretty good, we have gone for 15mm wide spur gears, is there any reason for us to go wider

Thanks for the good advice

I am using 15mm aswell, I dont think any thicker is needed. And your gears out of cnc`d POM should be even stronger than my 3d printed plastic ones :smiley:

1 Like

Yes of course POM is very good.

We have reduced the overall size of the gear box now, going for 25-17-10

You have some more pics? :grinning:

I will do soon, I will PM when I done - share some ideas

3D printer is broken down right now so nothing physical yet.

1 Like

I keep hearing about Fusion. Iā€™ll see whatā€™s on Youtube, but I have unfinished business with Blender! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its not the enemy :joy:

Fusion is great, basic and simple to use

i love this design, are yā€™all gonna post the files or is this going to be intended to be sold?

1 Like

i was wondering if this was going to happen, now my question is, since it has 3 gears can this be made to fit SR trucks? the issue me and Kug talked about was clearance but this solves that problem

It can be made to fit SR, but I dont have SR so at the moment it cant be done

SR = surfrodz right?

Whatā€™s your mounting solution? Can I see the backside?

Maybe a bit later :slight_smile:

1 Like