New Hummie Hubs!

@hummie, notice in this last chart you posted the motor amps are the same in both motors at the same speed so the motor efficiency is the same as well, like the first chart I posted showed same efficiency at the same speed and same motor amps.

heres another:Capture

showing bit higher motor amps for the lower voltage system at same speed but same torque, yet overall eff is still showing about the same. at this point it seems the difference in eff will vary with the details but the lower voltage is showing a hair better eff.

but i was confused by what you wrote @professor_shartsis and thought you were saying otherwise.

In your latest graph i suspect the decrease in efficiency with 12S at the same speed & same motor amps is entirely explained by the higher total internal resistance of the 12S battery as opposed to the 10S pack and has nothing to do with the motor or controller. notice the difference in efficiency between the 2 systems in this condition is about a third of 1%. i strongly suspect the entire decrease in 12S efficiency shown in the graph ends up as extra heat in the battery pack.

the grin simā€¦ ā€œ(it does not take into account the losses internal to the battery pack)ā€

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?bopen=true&hp=0&hp_b=0&batt_b=B4812_MH&batt=B3612_MH&k_b=1&throt=36.8&throt_b=38&autothrot=true&autothrot_b=true&grade=4&grade_b=4#simulator-faq

at partial throttle the diferences are small yea but when the 10s gets to top speed, no more pwm, it has that advantage over a 12s at partial throttle and I think a lot of the losses are the esc switching for the partial throttle 12s

can you explain why it shows system A has higher efficiency but system B is shown to be consuming less watt hours per kilometer?

yea i noticed that but at the same time they arent exact comparisons and the 10s is doing a bit more work

scond week of august. thats when tires will be shipped. so they just told me. not sure if thatā€™s within the 6 weeks they told me initially or just afterā€¦o well im still happy.

8 Likes

Hi Looking to sell my spot. Shoot me a pm if interested

3 Likes

tbh i would be good at 100mm tires, as i dont plan on making a 4wd systemā€¦ but if the price is right, i may do a 4wdā€¦ idk

Iā€™m just soooooo impatient to ride theses on a daily basis !!! Trash the meepo hubs and use this piece of art. Maybe in September :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shoot me a PM if your still wanting to sell them.

1 Like

So we are in that second week of August. Any update on the wheels being shipped?

1 Like

ill write them on monday and see whatā€™s up.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to reply to this in here. I think you should do a test between the different bearings and greases like @CHAINMAILLEKID has done on his YouTube channel. Personally Iā€™d rather have the high temp grease since it should last longer and will be more resilient to water.

https://youtu.be/K9YOBZMJQXA

2 Likes

Heh sounds like as usual real bearings cost $30 and the chinese have made something that looks like bearings for much much cheaper.

@hummie Iā€™d pay $40 if you could pack the jap bearing with high temp grease lol.

1 Like

There are different bearing manufacturers that make various qualities of bearings, but there are also different grades of the same size of bearing that are intended for different purposes. In general, the grease packed sealed bearings are for use in high-speed environments (20000RPM -100000RPM) environments where they canā€™t be easily replaced. Theyā€™re sealed so they canā€™t be service, but they canā€™t be contaminated or have the lube leak out. There are less expensive ā€˜shieldedā€™ versions with the plastic shields that can be opened and re-lubed and can run on light grease or oil lubes. They have less rolling resistance but will overheat at higher RPMs and can get contaminated thru the shields and can leak lube.

Iā€™m rebuilding a couple of cheap hub motors (just for fun/experience, makes no financial sense), and my experience sourcing bearings is similar to what @Hummie describes. My inboard bearings are nice Japanese 6903Z with metal shields and the outboard are less nice but still good 6801RS with removable plastic shields. They spin nice and are good bearings, but in order to service them you have to completely disassemble the hub, and the bearings are press fit into the inner and outer wheel plates. It should be really hard to take them apart because they are tightly fit onto the shaft. Except, exactly like @Hummie describes in:

Will Any hub motor last?

the inner rings have begun to rotate on the shaft, especially the inboard bearing, and now they slip on and off the shaft easily and thereā€™s a very tiny bit of wobble on the inner one (between the inner ring and shaft, the bearings themselves are still tight AF). Luckily all the wear seems to be on the bearing inner ring and the shaft is just a little shiny in a couple of spots so the new bearings I got to replace them are tight enough they canā€™t be pressed on by hand.

Iā€™m replacing them both with nice ZZ versions from vxb.com, which are sealed with metal shields, and packed with grease, good for ~30000 RPM. I could use cheaper oil-lubed, shielded bearings, but because Iā€™m going to reassemble them, pressing the new bearings onto the shaft with retaining fluid, I donā€™t expect to ever open them up again, and I want to use bearings that should never need replaced or serviced. If the hubs were easily serviceable, Iā€™d use slipperier oil-lubed bearings, but since theyā€™re going to be crazy hard to open up, Iā€™m going with long-lasting, bulletproof bearings. Reliability and longevity are more important in this case than lowest rolling resistance and serviceability, since they canā€™t be serviced easily anyway.

A good comparison test between various bearing types and manufacturers would be awesome and super helpful, but a huge pain in the ass to do, cause youā€™d basically have to build a set of hub motors for each set of bearings you wanted to test, or switch them out, which is going to be hard work + you risk damaging the motors every time you press out the old bearings and press the new ones in.

Thatā€™s going to be a huge innovation in hub motor design, a way of making the bearing serviceable or replaceable without compromising the connection of the inner ring to the shaft, the outer ring to the wheel, or opening them up to contamination from outside.

3 Likes

I bought 100 608 bearings from them on ebay like 10 years ago. Crap crap crap. Ran through them super fast. I use the corpses to help press bearings into wheels.

I hope theyā€™re better now, or have non-crap bearings to sell outside of ebay.

1 Like

No kidding, I thought they had a pretty decent reputation. I wouldnā€™t replace the ones that I already have if the inner rings werenā€™t reamed out and loose. The bearings I got seem fine, but canā€™t tell by looking at them. They werenā€™t cheap but they werenā€™t the most expensive I could find either. Frankly, the motors theyā€™re going into arenā€™t that great so the bearings will probably outlast them. Guess I will find outā€¦

So, one thing Iā€™ve come to learn pretty quickly since coming here. The use case for bearings between Eskate, and normal longboarding is pretty different.

People here put A LOT of miles on bearings, and thereā€™s a lot of traditional skate wisdom that just doesnā€™t account for such extended use.

I bet riders like Deckoz have a single set of bearings with more miles on them than I do across my entire collection of bearings.

1 Like

tires are done and heā€™s hoping to ship them by the end of this week

9 Likes