New Hummie Hubs!

We will see. I’d like to think the 14mm axle of 4140 would do. Seems crazy that it wouldn’t. Down to 12.4 (I think I found on the web easy) in the thread.

So we have another thing to test other than the rubber. I do have many of the hanger I can send as I said if u do bend it. I’m assuming bending isn’t deadly. The idea of a stress point in the thread makes me think of what would happen more w a fracture than a bend. No?

And youre like “where the fuck are my motors and stop this blabbing”. Tomorrow I found glue locally and get u a good pic of at least almost all done by tomorrow night and sent Tuesday. I’m calling it.

More or less bent vertically, and ever so slightly back.

Like I said in OP it is hard to pinpoint when it happened. I noticed the board felt weird when carving, looked down, realized something was wrong, and stopped.

Will see if it was just a fluke I guess since I am back up and running

I got curious and did a little simulation between fully threaded, partially not-threaded and partially threaded, comparing between 12mm and 14mm axles for each, with 4142 steel under 500 lbs-force load. Here are the results… it looks to me like threading plays a large part in losing strength… for example the fully threaded 14mm axle is pretty much equal in strength to the 12mm partially threaded.

Keep in mind that the results shown are visually exaggerated for visibility, the max displacement on the weakest axle was ~1.5mm total for reference under the 500 lbs-force load.

PNG PNG PNG

disclaimer- I am not a qualified engineer.

11 Likes

Nice, I can try do some simulations of fatigue life to see what should happen

Just be careful with simulations, the results are only as good as your understanding of the problem and all the theory involved in the software

4 Likes

@Hummie these guys are 14 pole pairs?

7 dasdasdasd

1 Like

7 yes. but generally the poles are known as are the magnets on rotor 14 magnets n 7 pairs stator has 12 teeth

FUUUUCK!!! I thought glue could be gotten locally. im looking. so will be a couple more days. sorry guys. was planning a big doing day. Krayden is getting back to me…im going to call again. at worst they have it coming wed to them and then to me from them in texas Id express ship. maybe even over night! fuck I want to be done already. prepped the area! and then found the glue is pretty much done. I’ve got like 5 sets here and will send them as replacements to 3 people who sent back to get the bearings redone. Im doing this because I still haven’t gotten the tools to remove the bearings. ill order those today. I’ve got 15 sets and 10 without glued bells. got the paris trucks in…have everything but the glue. but calling them and seeing if there’s a good substitute the might have, maybe something even better is out there now.

and i’ll figure everyone’s shipping costs and get everything else done till then. I mean tonight I will actually post up the costs here. hope no one has a problem with that. and then just going down the list will send those other two sets out. now. going doing.

2 Likes

@Smithster I typically don’t like this whole running over something with a car marketing ploy. In this instance and eskating as a whole, we dont just experience downward force, there are a lot of variables. For instance smooth concrete vs tarmac or asphalt roads… on the asphalt u will experience bumps and vibrations with would act like an impact driver on a seized bolt.

Lets say you’re trying to break lug nuts on ur car to change a tire and its seized, you can stand on the tire iron and nothing happens, but u start bouncing and it breaks the lug… vibrations will kill anything

@Chase here did do the test on the axle and it’s mild steel not 4140. very low chromium and no molydenum

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/SAE-AISI-1020-S20C-G10200-Carbon-Steel/SAE-AISI-4140-SCM440-G41400-Cr-Mo-Steel

the lighter blue color on the graphs is the hardened material. a hardened steel isn’t possible if cast in the hanger being tempered and softened by the hot aluminum around it when cast. you could press in a hardened axle but the history of that in the skate world shows some coming loose and that’s without the heat and torque of a motor. machined hangers seem the only other way to get a hardened steel axle. im still going for a 14mm cast in the hanger with 4140 and will see what the manufacturer has to say about getting that whipped together immediately or possibly casting my own and sand casting is pretty simple and that’s how these were made. but have bigger plans too for another hanger.

Im sending the motors and this hanger out thinking only one has bent and can replace the bent until new come in. sent you two @slerm today.

so waiting on glue. talked to the glue guy for hours and its worth waiting on this stuff and unique. comes in wed and then to me. in light of resent events im feeling extra repentant and will have all motors done in a nano when the glue arrives

3 Likes

Hey Hummie, the ride has been enjoyable we’re baked when we’re baked

1 Like

reminds me of a light saber :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

image image

Duuu there’s an easy solution which Dan and Devin brought up and can stay at the 12mm axle just not thread it all the way to the aluminum and then slightly drill out the motor hub at 12mm where it will butt the aluminum hanger so the point of pretty much all the stress is supported by a true 12mm axle. So that’s the plan.

Getting them to make 40 of the hangers with the 4140 and this different threading hopefully in the near future but for the rest of the motors going out I’ll do this alteration and think it will make a world of a difference. Nice to hear your ideas guys if anyone has any thoughts on this before they go under the knife. So will drill the motor hub hole 12mm diameter for maybe on two or three mms. Two? Three?

(The axle above of course isn’t a match for anything and will thread same thread on there all the way until 3 or 4 mm from the aluminum

5 Likes

@Hummie i wondered… can a pair of your hubs climb the steepest street in san francisco? according to wikipedia that would be the 31.5% (17.5°) slope on filbert street between hyde and leavenworth…

so i set the chart up to show (2) 73kv hub motors with 84mm tires, 100a motor current limit, 60a battery current limit per motor at 46v & 200lb rider + board.

I was surprised to find that the chart suggests you could accelerate up to and sustain 27mph straight up that 31.5% (17.5°) slope. check out where the red line, bottom left chart (vehicle thrust pounds – 2 motors) dips below the purple line, bottom left chart (31.5% slope + wind drag force pounds) @ ~27mph. does that sound ballpark accurate?

4 Likes

When will start international orders @Hummie

1 Like

I would make this way deeper, 10mm or more, doing just 3mm you are still almost at the maximum moment point

2 Likes

This week! The tap comes today and I have all these sets done and just need to drill them and rethread an axle n out to u. This week.
Drill them to 10mm then.

4 Likes

how many mm of threading will remain on the stator tube after 10mm is drilled?

20mm I think it is after ten removed

Any updates on the kickstarter? :smiley: @Hummie

Sorry for the slow up. I found out there’s three types of taps for each size and I want the taper one not the butt. Anyway coming on Monday and then can finish these motors then send them out and a quick video

4 Likes