New raptor 2.1 axle with integrated copper heat pipe

The final version will not have the window cutout.

Unsure what you are referring to. There is a lot of contact area

He’s talking about if there was a cutout you lose heat transfer there I think, but there isn’t, so we won’t.

2 Likes

if that copper from the pipe was used in the motor windings instead wouldn’t it decrease the amount of heat produced in the first place and lead to increased range (& lower electrical resistance)?

The contact area between the copper bit and the hanger is maybe a square mm. If the copper were to transfer the heat further along the axle that seems doable as the heatpipe can somewhat transfer heat laterally but the joint between the copper n aluminum heatsink, judging from the video above, is 1mm diameter

The axle in the video was a sample we never actually mass produced. The final design is with the 15mm axle with much more contact area

1 Like

Cool design added strength is a plus. Imo as far as heat transfer the old design worked cause my hanger would get so hot I couldn’t touch it with out burning my self. Bigger issue with heat is that the hanger doesn’t have enough mass to effectively dissipate the heat from these large motors. In all honestly I never had heat soak issues on mine even in the Miami heat.

Did you guys @onloop test it? Looking at it it seems like not worth the effort. This heat pipe will help for couple of first minutes and when hanger will get really hot it won’t matter. @Battosaii is right. Your hanger don’t have the surface to dissipate the heat. I’m sure that those motors are not generating less heat than desktop CPU and look at those cooling systems. Adding this to axle will make it weaker, more expensive and will not work as you hope for it to work (in that form you showed but maybe there’s more advanced plan?)

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m also interested in hearing if there’s done any calculations on the hanger and how much heat it can dissipate vs heat generated by the motors.

1 Like

You know what? I take it all back. My issue was confidence in the thing but that axle is a big bitch and hopefully it does the job. I for one would love to see the board perform to its potential because its an achievement, it really is. I rode one last year and it shocked me tbh. To get that much torque and speed from hub motors is fantastic on 10s. Just what i’m after for an everyday ride. Fingers crossed it all works out mate. I’ll obviously want free shipping on mine though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

All that matters is how hot the hangar actually is. Heat dissipation is directly proportional to temperature difference. The closer to the internal temperature of the motors that the hangars get, the more heat will be wicked away by wind flowing over the hangar. I can guarantee you right now the hangars are staying much cooler than the windings in the motors just due to thermal resistance etc.

2 Likes

Did you guys do any simulations? It’s not hard to setup a thermal simulation and the results can help a lot to visualize what’s happening

2 Likes

A little off topic here, but after watching this video, https://youtu.be/DlbGoBY4J58

Freaking kudos to @barajabali , @onloop, @adrianenertion. I’ve never seen many companies that have this amount of dedication and grit to get something done. I may be a hard customer, but you guys have my full support.

Of course if there’s a problem I’m still gonna hound support about it though… sorry about that :laughing:

1 Like

That nobody has ever thought of using the hanger to remove heat is ridiculous, to say it nicely.

…like for example this super cool idea by @Minim to replace the dreadful R2 hanger with a super cool new hanger design to disipate heat… :point_down:

944c5f529f183814cf1ee0222481618991bc6138_1_690x411

e7a95a044e7fdb65bd873adf4c5ce46f7b874274_1_497x500

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/raptor-2-custom-hanger-for-better-cooling/61104

4 Likes