New raptor 2.1 axle with integrated copper heat pipe

Hi Sean, We addressed many of these minor issues now, thanks for the the feedback.

Actually, I think we solved the stuttering/cogging motor problem, it was related to motor detection & firmware issues, Did you follow the steps we published: https://enertionboards.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000406455-How-to-configure-R2-with-motor-stuttering-problems

Regarding warranty parts inventory, we allocate a set amount of parts to cover warranty when we do ordering, in the past we didn’t leave enough stock for warranty related issues, we have now increased the reserves to prevent delays in the future.

In relation to the problem with firmware, Due to this bug we ended up replacing lots of motors that likely didn’t actually have hardware faults, this put huge strain on our inventory reserves.

With the new FOXBOX unity & Combined with New improved motor supplier we are confident that this type of bug won’t happen again.

Thanks again for the feedback, we arent perfect yet but always trying to improve.

6 Likes

Will the new ESCs ship with legal software?

3 Likes

yes, of course.

Please don’t go off topic though.

I get it. But with the videos and everything I’ve already provided to you guys. We know it’s not firmware/motor detection. I was sent yet another defective product. I’ve been waiting a year for something that will work more than 60 miles at a time. Not to mention the other 9 orders we made with your company. One of which broke in a month and they’ve also been waiting months for replacements. Thanks man. We appreciate it.

1 Like

Maybe you will consider getting a certified enertion repair agent to look at the faults for you, maybe you overlooked something & it never hurts to have another set of eyes on a problem, its covered under warranty also.

Anyway sean, please stop using this thread to discuss unrelated topics.

1 Like

“Anyway sean, please stop using this thread to discuss unrelated topics.”

Nice dude. That’s what we love hearing from someone that we threw 20k at from day one to fund your company. Have a good night.

3 Likes

Please send it to us, we will be happy to assist.

1 Like

Here is the evolution of the Raptor 2 Drive axle, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm & Now 15mm

I think it’s important to note, most of the reported axle snapping (approx 1%) occured in the 8mm axles & normally it was due to the improper torque & installation of the axle & the position of the motor not being flush with the hanger.

8 Likes

How will the change to 15mm axles affect wheel options?

these are internal changes only, the outwheels are not impacted.

1 Like

Awesome stuff, but whenever I see “patented” I start wondering how locked down this market is going to become.

What exact is patented?

I’ll drop this here as a comparison, a post from 2017. The heat pipe idea appears to be new on the market. Using the hangar as a heat sink is not. Edit: same old discussion with the same people. I know a forum member recently milled a design that looks very similar, forgot his name.

That nobody has ever thought of using the hanger to remove heat is ridiculous, to say it nicely. There is loads of prior art anyway. The patent nonsense is just fearmongering. Real innovation happens with new product announcements like this – not litigation threats.

Literally anyone who has ever had something get too hot had the idea: “Hey, I should remove some heat from it”

1 Like

It isn’t patented yet only provisional plus the date it was filled is after everyone here talked about that idea…

2 Likes

A heatpipe uses hollow piping to hold a material often in a vacuum environment that will vaporize when it gets hot and transfer heat as it then rises in the hollow tubing. There is nowhere for the heat to rise to with this. The transfer of heat here would more so be as done by a heatsink. In fact if it were hollow and filled with such a material …it would work better if it were solid since it’s trying to get heat sideways not up.

2 Likes

That is the idea. Heat doesnt transfer very well from the axle into the hanger, which is why we decided to use a copper core.

1 Like

so not hollow and not heat piping in the known sense of the term no? If I look up “heat piping” it’s a thing

True, I am not sure if the copper is hollow. But the concept was to aid in heat extraction via heatsink

3 Likes

This logic is a bit flawed. It does use the heat of vaporization as a good way to hold a large amount of heat but does not need to be oriented vertically to work.The tube is only partially filled with a liquid that has a low boiling temperature. The vapor will condense on whatever part of the tube is coolest and the fluid will evaporate on whatever part of the tube is warmest. Convective processes work much faster to transfer heat than conduction, even in the best conductive material cases. For example, your laptop uses heat pipes which have no inclination angle. The heat pipes used do contain such vapor.

4 Likes

Ok so possible to go sideways with convection to some degree.

Am i wrong in thinking getting much heat out that 1mm spot of copper to the aluminum hanger is unlikely and at best, assuming the design in the video, heat could be further transferred along the axle steel by the copper. Will the axle really have that window cut in it? Weird. Seems like less strength and more air filling voids so less heat transfer

No, my understanding is that they won’t have that cutout. I think the cutout was needed in the thinner 12mm axle since a thin-wall bore that deep would have been challenging. Not sure, not the one doing the back-and-forth with the factory.

Steel is about 10-20 W/m K, aluminum is 150-200 W*m/K and copper is 300-350 W/m K. Properly implemented heat pipes can have conduction in the 10k-100k W/m K range.