New vesc user? Read This - COMPLETE WALKTROUGH OF THE VESC

Is it better to first config VESC with usb cable or bluetooth? Can you point me to best, most reliable tutorial on how to connect bt module and use it? Preferably at the same time as remote. I plan dual vesc setup.

try to search using the keyword VESC FAQ, and you will find most of the tutorial you need, also you need to connect via usb first (I donā€™t think there a way to connect and change parameter via Bluetooth)

1 Like

I have a question here Enertion vesc and other vesc have a 3 tube like connector to connect motor with vesc and a 2 wire to connect vesc and the battery right ?

So my main concern is every battery vesc and motor we get will be have the same connector to install easilly right or there are many types of connector ?

Like somehow a battery only comes with 2 wire and fhe vesc have 3 ports

I would suggest you read about rc connector types, since most of the connectors we use on eboards started in the rc hobby world. there are xt60, xt90, 3mm bullet, 4mm, 5.5mm bullet, 8mm bullet (super high amp), servo, and more.

Thereā€™s many many different types of ports, just like with any other electronic. Cell phones, for example, have many different plugs. In the cell phone world, most are using micro usb these days (besides the iphone, which uses the lighting), but usb mini and some other ports pop up on phones from time to time. And similarly, in eboards, the xt60 or xt90 is usually used for battery connections, and the 4mm bullet connector or 5.5mm bullet connector is used for motor wires.

You should know the names of the ports, their amp ratings, ect. You need to understand whatā€™s going on with your electronics, or you will waste a lot of money blowing up parts (and possibly injury yourself).

If you did a simple search on hobby king for batteries for example, you would see that batteries have different connectors. A lot of hobby grade batteries use 5.5mm bullets for the battery. But bullet connectors are not anti-spark plugs, so you get a big pop noise every time you plug it in. Reaserch before you buy stuff! You can get convertor cables to so you donā€™t have to solder.

Also some sellers like ollinboards allow you to select your connector types. In my case, I just matched my motorsā€™ and batteriesā€™ connectors on my vesc order.

Iā€™m planning on the enertion vesc-standard Its xt and mm type are self custom ? Or whats the xt type and the mm of the vesc

You may want to post about the .004 glitch thing

1 Like

Why donā€™t you post about it? All I found out is that ā€œthereā€™s a glitch on most BLDC tools that will mutliply the value by 10 every time you write in the motor config tab. The default value is .04 which is why you want to set it to .004 before you write.ā€

source: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/update-not-enough-power-or-lost-of-it-enertion-build/7104/32?u=webst

This would be a good question to ask enertion. Iā€™m 90% sure they are using 5.5mm bullets for the motor phase wires, and xt60 for the battery side. But I canā€™t confirm 100%, because I donā€™t own one, nor do I work for enertion, and they donā€™t even have it listed on their site.

I didnt post about it becuase i simply did not know much about the glitch. I just remeber that i had to change a value to .004.

My welder gets here in a few days, and Iā€™ll be building my own 18650 packs with BSM and VESC thanks to the info on here! The money Iā€™m saving and the maintenance that needs to be done in the future are things that I canā€™t thank you enough for. You guys rock!!

@evoheyax Hey, this is exactly what Iā€™ve been looking for! As a noob you try your best to search and take pieces of information from different posts to create an understanding of a particular topic. Iā€™ve been able to do that very well for most things concerning my board. However, the VESC is a hurdle I didnā€™t want to take lightly and finding information on it was confusing. I found threads that talked about the VESC and FOC in depth. I also found threads that had debates about how things should be done. But, this is the first post Iā€™ve read that really spelled it out and that basic straight forward approach is what I needed for my first VESC ā€œinstallā€. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.

1 Like

Can someone PLEASE Please help me. Iā€™m looking for a VESC for 6s batteries for an electric longboard Iā€™m trying to create, I want to connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the vesc and I want the boats to travel around 7-9 miles at around 20mph, I know Iā€™m sort of asking for a lot but Iā€™ve been looking for so long and just stumbled upon this forum. Thank you.

Hey man Iā€™m thinking about building a simple board but itā€™s my first and I could use a hand can you message me for some tips and stuff thanks

Hi, I bought 4.12 VESC from Enertion. I downloaded BLDC tool from here http://vesc.net.au/ . Now I have 10s Li-ion Batttery with 36.6 V. Can I connect VESC with this battery for the first time or power supply is necessary? Will I need to upgrade firmware?

1 Like

When I connected my 4.12 VESCs from Enertion the first time I used a 3s Lipo for to make motor detection but since them I always use my 10s battery for to change values. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a problem to use 10s at the first connection. I recommend to use the BLDC Tool and firmware 2.52 from @ackmaniac but if you want to use firmware 2.18 you have to look about ā€œMax current ramp stepā€ in Motor config - Advanced. The value should be 0,04. If this value is changing (it multiplies per 10) after every write and read you have the bug version of 2.18 firmware wich I had on my vescs when I got them in july.

Thanks for combining all this info. in one place. I will be working on this in the near future and will use this resource ā€œbeforeā€ I start asking a million questions.

Iā€™m really confused as to how the VESC connects to whatever controller youā€™ve got. Does it require a seperate device if you want to connect to an RC remote?

You need the specific receiver that comes with your controller. The receiver is powered by the VESC and then you need to follow your controllers bind instructions. When that is done, you need to configure min and max pulsewidth for your controller in BLDC-tool before you can use it.

So i jut put together my skateboard and have a 4s battery with 16000 mah and a 10C discharge. I only have one and am pretty much getting no power to the motor and I donā€™t know what my options are to fix this. I have a turnigy 245kv motor on it. Help?