Noobie first time esk8 UK build | 10s1p LiPo | SK3 6374 192kv | FOCBox VESC | Two Bare Feet Board

It’s finally finished! Kind of! Few very minor things to sort out but I’m very happy. I have it all connected through the BMS for charge and discharge.

I printed a skateboard wall hanger so I can mount my pride and joy in my ghetto office

Blew my BMS when I first connected everything up (wrongly!). I ordered a replacement fuse and, luckily, that fixed it.

I’m super paranoid about fires. I’ve tried to be as considerate of this during my build as possible. I’m using a BMS for charge and discharge, I added a tube of heat shrink over every bullet connector once connected up; is there anything else I can do? I’m thinking of adding a main (100a) fuse as close to the battery as possible and possibly a smaller, 3a fuse to the charging port. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Just wanted to give an update after my first month (ish) of using my finished board.

I’m still absolutely loving it. I’ve tweaked my trucks with some 93a barrels and it’s super carvy and lovely to ride. Exactly what I wanted.

The weather in the UK in Jan is always pretty bad so I’ve not been out on it as much as I wanted but I’ve still managed to get a fair bit of riding in. Mostly to local shop for my lunch on dry days at work.

I have done one small mod recently by printing a small cable tie mount to hold the battery cables:

Oh! And I added some of this awesome stuff between the enclosures and the deck: https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-extra-thick-weatherstrip-black-7m/40425

I have had a cutting out issue recently that I couldn’t replicate on the bench to fix. Had the board torn down a couple of times and just couldn’t find the issue. Long story short it was the JST connector that I’d used to connect my latching switch (mounted to the enclosure) to the white e-switch wires of the BMS. I thought I was being clever for when I’d need to remove the enclosure fully and get it out the way to work on stuff. I’m learning that solid connections, which may mean a bit of ball ache when doing services etc., are much more the correct thing to do with these, highly vibrational, machines!

@eightyeightmph is in the USA currently collecting some bits and we’ll be onto his build mid Feb :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Where did you get a charge port from to go with the charger?

Right, time for a MK2…

I’m after something a bit more stable at higher speeds, locks me in more and is much easier to carry / chuck in the car. I also considered a kick tail but I’m going to leave that for a MK3 :slight_smile:

So, I after LOADS of research I eventually made the plunge and went for a Loaded Truncated Tesseract. I set a budget of £100 and, whilst there are lots of similar boards available for that price, I just couldn’t tear myself away from the Loaded. The loaded was actually more readily available (stock wise) too, which sealed the deal. I’m hoping to take delivery later today.

I’ll be reusing everything else from my MK1 build other than a slight redesign in the enclosures so I can use inserts and avoid drilling through the Tesseract.

The only other change will be a new controller. I’ve built both Solidgeek’s Fire Fly remote and the Baby Buffalo GT2B mod cases. They’re both great remotes but I found myself preferring the buffalo in terms of ergonomics and responsiveness of the throttle. However, I’ve now gone through TWO GT2B remotes as I keep breaking the antenna off the RF module which then seems to blow the RF module. I striped out all the GT2B electronics (other than the pot) and set about building my own using easily (and cheaply!) replaceable parts.

Using things I learnt from both remote builds I mashed bits together to make this (sorry for poor picture):

Although initially I used these RF modules:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073ZWXSMG/ref=pe_2025931_249212461_em_1p_0_ti

I soon switched back to the nRF24 modules when I couldn’t find a way to code in a reliable fail safe.

This remote has been awesome and each module is around £3 max so no worries if anything breaks!

As you can see, the new electronics are much smaller than that of the GT2Bs. This got me thinking about constructing a new, smaller, slimmer shell…

I want something incredibly simple and small. An on/off switch with 4 white LEDs for battery level. Oh and a micro USB for charging too.

First model was a bit too small…

This seems more like it (tape was used as I did this one in two halves to check electronics has space)…

I’ll make everything available once I’ve moved a bit further along with it.

I’m also planning on making a small batch to sell to try and recoup my GT2B costs. Let me know if you’d be interested.

3 Likes

3 Likes

This looks great! I considered the Tesseract after seeing Whitepony’s build, but have gone for a Poke - I’m just getting all of the parts for my first board.

A couple of questions for you…if you have a minute to answer!

1. What wheel pulley do you use with your Kegels? I have the same wheels, and trying to find something that doesn’t a) involve destructive changes to the caliber trucks and b) have to be bolted on the outside of the wheel.
  2. What motor mount? Thanks in advance!

Thanks bud.

1. I 3D print my wheel pulleys. I use this one.

2. This motor mount.

Hope it helps! Good luck with your build.

1 Like

Your trucks wont be compatible with like any motor mounts

Edit - oh your thinking about upgrading to calibers.

Thank you!

@moon I have Caliber II trucks already - his mount doesn’t seem available any more… so if you know of any others it could be helpful

DONE!.. and it’s just what I wanted. Super happy.

Off to play around with making this new controller :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Super nice! Congratulation man! Now go out and ride… Later on let we know how it rides! I love the tesseract build

1 Like

Ridden it loads buddy! It’s fantastic. I can turn much tighter yet it feels more stable at speed. I can walk around holding it normally by my side without killing my traps too :facepunch:

I’d recommend this deck to anyone looking to build an eSkate.

1 Like

I have Spud, and I think the tesseract it’s his big brother. I may make a new build with it. Super nice. Thx for sharing.

1 Like