Official Motor Thread

yep…a bigger lever.

The torque generated by a brushless DC motor is proportional to the current times the number of turns. For a given motor size and a given current, a motor with more turns will generate more torque. For a given motor size, lower kv ratings will have more turns. Hence, for the same motor size and a given current, a lower kv motor will generate more torque.

1 Like

So a 190 kv R-Spec generates more torque than the 295 kv Tacon? Is it worth the difference in price? (I’m in the process of choosing motors for my e-skate)

yeah but that 295 will have higher top end, so if you fiddle with the ratios you can get decent startup torque and still have a higher top speed.

1 Like

If both are the same geomety and you’re pushing the same current through, yes.

I’ll tell you what justified the price difference of the 6355 R-SPEC for me:

• Electrically speaking, 12S batteries made most sense to keep currents and thus heat losses low, 190kv is almost ideal.
  • The R-spec comes with a keyway and 2 circlips to keep your pulley in place. Makes a lot of sense mechanically.
  • The R-spec has nice flexible silicone wires, hobby motors often just have the stiff winding wire extended outside the housing

I found this video interesting and helpful:

2 Likes

In a given motor series, the longer the length, the more torque it can produce.

The R-spec motor is the smallest of the three motors in this series. It actually has a sweet spot in the KV range of 230KV and the max output is reduced when it is wound to a lower or higher KV

And what about this Torque Motor?:

product/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-230kv-2650w/

I plan on getting a pair of those soon. Not a bad price for sensored motors.

those are all the same reasons i keep buying enertion motors.

• proper keyways
  • ringclips
  • silicone leads with 5.5mm bullets
  • ideal kv rating for 90% of usage scenarios
  • water/dust resistant coatings
  • they basically last forever unless you tear the wires out (i still have an old 5055 245k from last year i will likely use on a build for my kids one day)
1 Like

I agree. They’re very tempting, but I have sensored many of the Tacons so I can’t justify the price, although now out of stock. :frowning:

Hey @mccloed How do you add sensors? And are VESCs compatible with sensors?

Al…

Adding sensors is kinda complicated, so I’ll forgo explaining it here. There are a lot of resources online that could probably explain it better than me. I think endless-sphere had a couple of how-to’s on this. Plus, I’m still experimenting with sensors. As for VESC’s, they can be used with sensors. Although, I have not attempted that yet.

Hey @mccloed did you ever get your vesc back from @jamesonotc wasnt he going to fix that for you? Have you heard from him? It’s been forever!

No. I have not :angry:

Who has jamesonoct’s email or phone info? He needs to get Matt back his vesc. Like last month.

@onloop would probably have it. Didn’t he do something with him?

Thanks @lox897. Matt has left several pms and hasn’t got a response. It would be nice to know @jamesonotc is alright and just doesn’t like to return emails…

1 Like

Whoops. I think I got mixed up with jacobbloy

As somebody whos ridden through the California rain these last couple of weeks and watched as its changed my parts… Bearings. OMG bearings. All the reasons @longhairedboy listed for using the rspec are great, but the bearings alone have me curious enough to spring for a 190kv R-Spec for a good beater board lol