One motor dual drive build

Well yeah but I need balanced tires first is what I’m saying, not enough$ yet

Unless you want to buy it for me haha, but as far as single drive maybe later this year I’ll do a complete rebuild anyway I was thinking https://www.ebay.com/p/TOMCAT-G50cc-Gas-Giant-Airplanes-Brushless-Outrunner-180kv-Motor-Tc-g-8825-kv180/2162960030?iid=282090587473 this with a two speed transmission on new project with one wheel mayyybe two the motor would need to be modified though

@GhettoFab.rictation Well… that sure does look a bit funny - the big wheel with the small pulley… anyway, have you made any other plans / progress with dual drive / single motor system or similar?

1 Like

Is that a Jenso direct drive or Diy one?

Jenso but I’m going to possibly make my own in the future for just my boards

1 Like

Well…

http://landyachtz-longboards.com/the_r5

Just saying…

3 Likes

This thread just made me do some maths.

5m radius U-turn, 30cm (0.3m) truck width, 90mm (0.09m) wheels, ‘locked diff’.

Inner wheel distance = 5 * pi = 15.71m Outer wheel distance = (5 + 0.3) * pi = 16.65m Difference = 0.94m = 0.94 / (2 * pi * 0.09/2) rev = 3.32 revolutions (over whole turn)

OR, for every 1m the inside wheel travels the outside wheel must travel 1.06m.

It doesn’t sound too bad in my unqualified opinion. I mean it’s not like a car that has a similar turning radius, but much larger track width whereby the outer wheel might have to cover double the distance. But if that was the case why do RC cars have differentials.

5 Likes

THe only advice I can give after shredding 3 buggy diffs is dont use stainless steel. Use something harder and more resistant ti friction damage. Steel at a minimum. Maybe seal the diff and pack with lithium grease?

1 Like

Not too sure what you are implying. I know a 0° rear works fine on a typical skateboard… I have a few setups like that. I just don’t know how well it would work with one motor powering both rear wheels on a zero degree plate. Specifically is the turning radius of the inside rear wheel different from the outside rear wheel? If it is different, is it significant enough to make a difference on a 0° rear? Probably not

The physics get a little tricky. With a normal setup, the outside wheels spin faster than the inside ones in a turn. But on a zero degree plate, the rear does not actually turn… it only leans. So maybe the rear wheels are effectively pivoting instead?

An interesting test would be to mount a dual rear drive setup on a 0° plate. Then run bluetooth telemetry on both VESC’s and compare RPMs of the left/right wheel during turns

1 Like

Well… At 45 degrees, you have an even amount of turn to lean. Really the important part is the turn. The more lean, and less turn you have…the less the wheels pivot as well. The closer the wheels stay to on track like a car, the greater the difference in speed between the inside and outside wheel.

Where as when you have a truck with turn, it points into the turn, making the difference between the inner and outer wheels less…

If single motor doesn’t feel right in the 40-60degree baseplate range. It will even more noticeable the inner outer difference the lower your baseplate angles…(higher 70-90 not realistic)

Maybe a torsion truck would help, seems like they turn more than they lean so they would point into the turn more? Might feel weird though and I don’t know how it would be with one on the back only

Has anyone actually tried this? Would be nice to hear from someone who actually had a go. I’m going to have a go, I think it could work, I don’t think a diff is required due to the short track and no Ackerman, plus the out side wheel is unloaded during a turn and will be able to spin, + it works fine in a go kart!

It’s been done but I don’t know what happened to it.

http://esk8builds.com/photo/view/?id=120

So I had a couple of hours in the work shop today, made a proof of concept. Got to say solid rear axel works fine, I reduced the truck angle and the track, I have more grip in acceleration and breaking and it feels better in cornering especially when on power. Really happy, if I can make it light enough it makes for a good dual light weight simple set up. IMG_20181229_183943498

Yes, i know a builder in France who only use this for quad build. Those are real rockets. For having tried it, you don’t feel any difference. But i don’t think he is on this forum.image

10 Likes

It is a 12s5p. With dual SK3 6374 with external sensor (in the black tube).

thx for share @hiboute ! I doesn’t know this new build :blush: I like every picture he post on esk8 (is that right the Lyonnais rider ?)

it’s lui meme :smiley:

1 Like

So are people saying most quad bikes and go carts that have locked rear axles can not turn a corner? Go look on YouTube and join the flat earth society! Not the most efficient way of turning but I can see more advantages better grip much better brakes. the negs wheels dragging on turns wereing out quicker larger turning radius.

All comes down to personal choice what you want to compromise on cost wight grip reliability. There’s no right answer hear as long as it works for you.

2 Likes