One motor dual drive build

yeah there is some funky physics involved with skateboard motion and turning, not all of it is intuitive. On most other 4 wheel vehicles the outside wheels generate most grip. On a skateboard you can lift the outside wheels off the ground…

4 Likes

single motor dual drive would have one wheel locked on turning think of a rwd car with a locked differential…one wheel skips n bounces when taking tight turns

No, it wouldn’t. Think about the turning radius wrt the axle length. A car’s average turn radius / width is ~3.25 (my fiat can do 2.85, my friends buick park ave can do 3.25, my f150 does 3.69 at worst (according to google)) . That would be equal to less than 3ft turn radius on a board with 10in wide trucks… I dont know about you, but I definitely cannot make a 3ft u turn on a longboard…

A longboard with a fairly short wheelbase of 23.5in, and a 45deg truck angle has a turning radius of 6ft at 10deg of lean.

4 Likes

true but at high speed would it not slide especially in wet?

as would a regular skateboard and car with differential brakes… given enough speed on a wet road, anything and everything slides lol.

3 Likes

ya those were just the problems that came to mind every time I thought of this good to know theyr not a problem then…was thinking too much from a car perspective lol…dont know why this hasn’t been done…

2 Likes

A kid I know from school did it on his setup. But its a real ghetto setup with lipos and esc just taped to the bottom of his board and within a year, he’s had a broken ankle and wrist. I’ve never ridden his board though

3 Likes

rough ya esc are very on/off power rode a koowheel and it was all go straight away cool but think a vesc would help it

Isnt here any car guy?

It would be like driving a car with a welded diff

Not so nice

1 Like

It would be exactly like driving with a welded diff. When turning the outside wheel will go its normal path but the inside wheel will hop. This is because of extra energy built up on the from it not spinning. Both wheel get the same amount of energy since they are physically connected, but only the outside wheel can put the energy to the ground smoothly. The inside wheel isn’t as smooth because it has the same energy to deliver, but is restricted by traction. The inside wheel axle will bend slightly until it can release the energy as a slip or hop.

In my opinion it won’t be noticeable because you’ll never turn as sharp as a car with a welded diff, like @PXSS said. The wheels will probably balance themselves out every time you hit a rock or the road is a little rougher. The hopping will probably only feel like you ran over a small rock at the very most, it shouldn’t be too noticeable/obvious.

1 Like

The regular turn radius of a board is 7ft. The car equivalent would be a 50ft turn radius! 100ft to make a u-turn… Plus urethane wheels gave a lot less traction than car tires. It would not be noticeable at all…

2 Likes

Unless you did mountain board 6374 149kv like I was going to do

2 Likes

Are you seriously planning on using that pulley on a wheel this large?

1 Like

I have been but I have a large motor pulley,and I’m ghetto

1 Like

Makes no sense - small wheel pulley would only make sense with even smaller motor pulley. Your ride must have been inefficient AF

Are you sure because it works had a high top speed and I’m light took off amazing for everyone who wasn’t 300lbs

I’m broke dude and young… but I made it work rather than talk about what wouldn’t work

Everything will work - it’s a matter of how well it will work. I myself was using a 35/14 on 10S and 149kv with 150mm wheels and it was not nice. You waste all torque for a top speed you’ll never reach plus the inefficiency which is why I now ride uneven dual

I reached mine on the 97mm when I put these on I had balance issues though… hence the “high speed” 1$ ada tires under my hot gun I won in ebay hahah

No idea what you are saying. You have to adjust your gearing when you switch tires as the diameter changes (especially when going for something drastic like those)

1 Like