Ownboard Dual VESC V6.6

Would be interesting if the power switch is reliable. If to look back Flipskys e- switch have been a massive flaw.

I also don’t like that the phase wires so tiny and that you need a specific plug to connect them which included the sensor wires as well. So either you cut everything or you get this plug and solder all your motor wires to the the other plug.

I can’t find it on the pcb but the description says uart port as well.

It also says 300a peak current. Which seems for me unrealistic looking at that small and tiny motor plugs.

I think it can be a good platform for the prebuilt market, but it’s nothing I would use for any diy projects.

1 Like

If it works like ownboard’s current ecs, and it’s priced like ownboard esc and not like unity, I’m all for it. We can benefit from a spectrum of price and features. The ownboard esc is pretty awesome.

• potted and waterproof
  • small
  • cannot kill it
  • if you still kill it, cheap as dirt
  • no configuration to mess up
  • great connectors for motor phase+sensors
  • remote has great range and robust signal
  • remote does not freak out when signal lost
  • electronic switch works great
  • remote is great form factor, and great throttle control range
  • haptic in remote for things like pack overcharged (great for regen braking safety)

If they have a dual 6.6 at say $120 (less than a single focbox) with above features (well for vesc we need some configurability) it’ll be awesome.

Sometimes I want change abs max to 150 and run 13s. Sometimes I want plug and play and not spend so much time and money. I’d love a $150ish dual esc with integrated everything that’s tiny and bulletproof with a great remote, that can run 60 battery amps. 80 would be better, but if I could get the rest and sacrifice 20 amps, deal.

2 Likes

This I agree with, but I’d bet my left arm that’s not what they did.

1 Like

We’re probably a few years off yet, but in couple of years some bright spark will release something that is reliable, integrated, and cheap too. Then esk8 will be mainstream whereas now it isn’t. I’m happier with modular setup today, but look forward to things becoming better/simpler/easier etc.

You can see this already happened with quadcopters. There used to be an ESC per motor, and a flight controller to control them. Now, it’s all-in-one boards with flight controllers and 4 esc built in.

To be honest I’d love to see a 4wd eskate controller, and modular ESCs.

2 Likes

Maybe but lets not make assumptions and write off a product before facts are known. Most are trying to grab market share at the moment and making the most appealing product is how that is done.

Look at their W2 belt drive kit for example, the prototype had the pulley integrated into wheel. People said no, we want to be able to change wheels. The production board has a separate pulley so can change the wheels and they are about to release a Kegel core pulley so customers have more choice of wheels

I would say that quad-copters are much more mainstream than E-Sk8 and would dare say that the all-in-one boards would have had a part to play in that.

I’m not writing it off before facts are known. They already said it won’t be able to use any remote except their built-in, vendorlocked one. You might like cheap toys, but I can’t defend them.

Would you like a shovel ?

Receiver does not equal remote

@MasterSpoon You can buy this china crap. I’m not spending any more time on you unless you send me a purchase order.

1 Like

Its actually not really china crap to be honest. Hobbywing make this esc if I’m not mistaken and they make some of the most reliable esc’s in the business. I just don’t like integrated products but its the way of the world now so if it works like they say it works then all good.

3 Likes

Hi, are you 雷智? or many people use same account? I’m TETSU I met 雷智 at HK.

I have an advice for you. Don’t be offensive when you comment, but ask the reasons why other users write something about your stuffs.

For example, about “built in receiver function in VESC”, your behavior was so so. You said about your sales points first, then asked why. To qsk why (or explain about function ) first is more better I felt. And don’t “push” your ideas or sales points first. I also heard “to save face is very important for Chinese people”, try to bird’s-eye view.

Some or most users hate Chinese copycats that don’t have the sence of patent (unless you did so or not) . Because “Infringement of rights” sometimes hinder the development of esk8 market. If you cannot understand this, you need to learn about why the patent system was invented. I know many Chinese companies, so I guess it’s a little hard to understand for Chinese. ( But some people also know the Steve Job’s behavior about GUI at Xerox )

And be careful about what you comment. Your attitude will affect the brand images of EOVAN, Elofty and Ownboard.

For reference : Check Exway’s US customer support’s behaviors (what he commented) on reddit. You’ll find good sample. They made fatal mistakes about firmware recently, but will recover speedy maybe . And you will also find Exway’s royal customers

I felt your communication style is like standard Chinese customer support, so you don’t need to change against Chinese customers (depends on your company’s strategy). But your style isn’t suitable for developed countries’ customers (especially for high amateurs or professionals in this forum) I guess.

Check “COMMENTS” tab first https://www.reddit.com/u/exway/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

6 Likes

it does mean that 99% of the time

even if the receiver supports different types of remotes its not gonna support every type of remote

1 Like

@b264

Damn dude, that’s like borderline racist lmao… I have an ownboard that I modded out with new trucks, bushings, wheels, bearings, deck to the point where I was only using their battery, esc, and motors. Then I got a vesc and a motor to run a single belt drive. I only use their battery now. They don’t advertise modularity but I did it anyway. If they have a vesc, then I could’ve spent the money that I spent on my vesc on a second motor. Not everybody thinks the way you do, just cause you can’t change the receiver doesn’t make it trash.

Just because some things are integrated and you don’t like that doesn’t mean that nobody else will like it. I for one am really excited to see how ownboard can do with this new vesc and direct drive in the mid range pre built board market.

Cool off with the negativity.

To be clear, I’m not talking about race, I’m talking about a country. A political division. It’s not my fault they have the same name.

3 Likes

um yes it does, its like saying swapping out the v1 meepo remote for the new hobbywing remote wont help

(btw the v1 remote is complete trash)

plus ownboard is not even alowed to advertise their esc as “vesc” as its trademarked, cough cough,:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

not gonna happen

the board is gonna be 800+ guaranteed

^and i dont consider that mid range

@AlanZhou well in that case, any vesc sold by TB (or literally anyone other than vedder) can’t be advertised as a “vesc”, but I don’t see anyone complaining about that. With regards to that remote argument, the v1 remote is trash, but ownboard only use the hobbywing esc. there would be no reason to change the remote, it works and it works well. If these new boards with vesc and direct drive (whether it’s mid range or high/mid range, it’ll certainly be cheaper than any direct drive currently on the market) work well enough for the average consumer to not have to worry about having to send it in for repair, then it works well enough to not need insane configurability. anyone who wants a ton of configurability isn’t buying an ownboard. people like me who enjoy tinkering but don’t have time to build a board from the ground up would very much appreciate a product like this.

again, not everyone wants the same thing from a product. just cause it’s shitty for your purposes doesn’t make it objectively shitty.

lawsuits have been filed arleady lol

how about elofty they sold at 310$ shipped

they arent advertised as vesc, please read, there’s a reason they say, “based on vesc”

I mean if they say “based on vesc” then I bet ownboard will too. The elofty is one board, it’s always nice to introduce more competition.